Chinese-Forums

What is life now like for non-Chinese in China?  

Dawei3

On 12/15/2023 at 12:36 AM, PandaCat said:

Occasionally some locals even ask permission to take a photo with her (and I, the Asian looking foreigner, is not invited into the photoshoot and thus becomes their photographer

My second trip it China was in Guangxi (link there) - in the rural areas, literally everyone stared at me. And the number of selfies I had taken was off the scale , haha

The foreigner thing is funny, one of my classmates there was Asian 'looking' and even though I spoke to people in Chinese, they would look at her and answer her! I just found it funny, and couldn't be offended by it, because it was the same everywhere. On the next video I'm currently editing, me my classmate and teacher went to a camping field, and when buying the coffees we asked them what we wanted, and the server literally looked over us to shout the price to our teacher behind us. We were talking about it in the class after and my classmate (also european 'looking') was really pI$$ed off with this! But I just said, it's the same everywhere. Even when we speak in Chinese to them, they answer back to the asian looking person. Personally I just found it amusing

This video is in the right place to click on it, and shows the selfies I was asked for on one of the nights https://youtu.be/lU68GaC6QWk?feature=shared&t=186

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, Dawei3 said:

For those who live there or have recently visited, what are your thoughts?  Does it feel unsafe?  Or as safe as ever?  

Yup, same as ever. My wife thinks I shouldn't tell people I'm from America, but it doesn't really matter.

Have a family friend who is extremely nationalistic and calls people traitors for using apple phones, but he's every bit as friendly to me as he's ever been.

On 12/15/2023 at 1:59 PM, TaxiAsh said:

The foreigner thing is funny, one of my classmates there was Asian 'looking' and even though I spoke to people in Chinese, they would look at her and answer her!

Oh yes! Now that you mention this, this has happened plenty of times when I'm out with my friend. For example in a restaurant, when the food my friend ordered isn't available, the restaurant owner would directly face me and explain that "she (my friend) has to pick other items on the menu".

My Chinese isn't that great so sometimes I couldn't understand what they're saying ? But speaking to the locals helps me improve my Chinese, I imagine this kind of scenario must be pretty frustrating for my friend who's also in China to improve her Chinese. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 1:59 PM, TaxiAsh said:

Even when we speak in Chinese to them, they answer back to the asian looking person.

把她当成翻译了。和我们长得这么不一样,举手投足这么不一样,神情气质这么不一样,都不知道怎么跟你们说话。都不太敢说英文,怕人笑话。说中文怕你们听不懂。哈哈。The Chinese people generally think that the westerners are good-looking. There is a Chinese word '洋气'. It is definitely a positive word. Example sentence: '凡物稍饰观,人少轩昂,皆曰洋气。'.

• Like 1