Chinese-Forums

Chinese food gets old

Jan Finster

Sorry, for this provocative title. I am currently in China on a 2 week business trip, the first since COVID. The first couple of days I really enjoyed eating Chinese food, but after 10 days I am now at a point where I honestly no longer care about it and quite frankly would rather eat something bland and simple. 

Every lunch and dinner on this trip there were 5-10 dishes and while "yummy" and certainly expensive, they are overall much more fatty, salty and fried than I would normally eat. In some way I feel like someone must feel, who eats western style fast food 2-3x daily...

How do people, who live or study in China for longer periods of time see and cope with Chinese food?

There's a lot of variety, regional and intra-regional. Here in the rural north there's a lot of good plain filling fare, flatbreads and dumplings, steamed foods not fried. Or have a bowl of porridge and a couple of cold veg dishes. Down at my inlaws in Fujian you can get really nice rice noodles in a satay type sauce cheap on the street etc etc.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 8:47 PM, Jan Finster said:

Every lunch and dinner on this trip there were 5-10 dishes and while "yummy" and certainly expensive, they are overall much more fatty, salty and fried than I would normally eat. In some way I feel like someone must feel, who eats western style fast food 2-3x daily...

How do people, who live or study in China for longer periods of time see and cope with Chinese food?

We don't eat those kinds of dishes every meal. There's plenty of bland/simple/plain food let me tell you. And lots of home cooked food. 

I for one discovered that I much prefer Chinese/ Asian food to Western food. Especially vegetables - I cannot eat a Western style salad, but I like all kinds of Asian style cooked veg. 

There is tons of variety within Chinese food too. I swear there has not been a week where I haven't tried at least one new dish - for years. I never find myself getting tired of it.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're being treated to meals, and of course your hosts want to serve you some rich foods. Any chance you can subtly discuss your interest in dumplings/soup/vegetables/something else light? Your plans to check out a certain nearby restaurant you heard about, when you get the chance?

More in general, I've had good experiences with Japanese food when I got tired of Chinese every day, and 馕 when I started craving bread.

• Like 1

This happens to me any time I've gone on a business trip, no matter where it is. 

I've learned to put my foot down after the first or second night and say, "sorry, I need to make some calls home tonight", just so I can skip the meal out and beverages. Usually my stomach is in shambles by the end of a trip like that. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

I feel for you. Perhaps you should try to get some inspiration from some of the Chinese Asian food blogs out there?

My personal favourites are:

Authentic Chinese Recipes - Red House Spice

Home - The Woks of Life

Asian Food & Drink Blog – Morueats

I would flick through these and try to open up your mind a bit on some of the food options out there and also consider cooking a bit from home. I really don't think you are as limited as you think. Which city are you staying in? I might be able to recommend some places to go too if it's Shanghai or Beijing.

On 11/15/2023 at 7:32 PM, PerpetualChange said:

I've learned to put my foot down after the first or second night and say, "sorry, I need to make some calls home tonight", just so I can skip the meal out and beverages. Usually my stomach is in shambles by the end of a trip like that. 

This is what I ended up doing for all lunch meals, but I thought I would be a bit unfair to leave my non-Chinese travel buddies alone at dinner with the Chinese hosts. Apart from the food, there is only so much you can small talk about. After 10 days of dinner with the same people, it does feel like a drain...

Tonight, I went alone to have a massage and then got some "boring" Wuhan noodles for 13 RMB from the local supermarket. A bit selfish, but felt good :)

• Like 2

On 11/16/2023 at 6:55 AM, Jan Finster said:

Tonight, I went alone to have a massage and then got some "boring" Wuhan noodles for 13 RMB from the local supermarket. A bit selfish, but felt good

Sounds like a smart move! After so many days of eating out in a group, I get all "social-ed out" regardless of the cuisine. As you say, the "small-talk" tank runs dry. 

As others have mentioned, the simple, every-day things that one would make in a home kitchen in China can be difficult to find when dining out. Restaurants like to emphasize their selection of items that are showier, more complex, and have a higher markup. Hosts like to be generous and order memorable specialties for their guests. 

Sometimes I have even resorted to the ruse of temporarily "going vegetarian" to get some relief from the heavy stuff. 真不好意思,但是我的消化不太好,我今天吃素。Then I ask for something light and seasonal. At this time of year, greens 青菜 would be a good bet. In most of China at this time of year 白萝卜 is also prime. Ordering it in a soup can be a pleasant change. Ask for some variation on 萝卜汤。

Hope you still have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Your Chinese host definitely considers the meals as a way to promote sociality. It's a better opportunity to push your work there rather than in the office. There's an interesting article online about '中国式酒局': https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/483582744?utm_medium=social&utm_oi=572527068336623616.

If you have finished your work, why not seek healthier food you like?

I also want to know if such business meals are used as an occasion to do business in your country?

• 3 weeks later...

Business meals can definitely be used for relationship building in my country too. I'll have to check out that article on Chinese-style drinking sessions - it sounds fascinating to learn more about the cultural aspects. You make a good point that my hosts likely see these meals as important social occasions as well. Maybe next time I can try introducing some lighter local dishes I discover to give everyone some variety. Appreciate the suggestions!

On 12/6/2023 at 10:54 PM, CulturalClimber said:

Maybe next time I can try introducing some lighter local dishes I discover to give everyone some variety.

Good idea. I've done that and it was well received. I presented the new items as "something seasonal." Chinese, especially older Chinese, are aware of how food can have quasi-medicinal properties in harmonizing the body with the season of the year. It's not esoteric or strange, it's sort of "Grandmother Knowledge." Your actions would be seen as culturally aware and culturally sensitive. They would be seen as showing respect for ancient Chinese tradition.