Chinese-Forums

还 and 也?

Ferno

My chinese instructor had said that 还 does not really have a concrete meaning. It really just softens things. I am interested in hearing the explanation too. You see 还 everywhere in Chinese, and it would be nice to know the true function or meaning.

This might help ->

還 -> http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/cgi-bin/agrep-lindict?query=%C1%D9&category=wholerecord&boo=or&order=all

Adv.

(*[hai2]) (1) Still, yet: 他還不來 he still has not appeared yet;

還有 still have some more;

還嫌不足 still regard it as not enough;

還是不行 still won't do.

(2) After all: 還是他對 after all, he is right;

還是你自己走一趟 after all, you'd better go yourself.

(3) Besides, in addition: 他還說 he says besides;

他還要一雙鞋子 he wants, besides, a pair of shoes;

還得謝謝他 in addition, you have to thank him.

也 -> http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/cgi-bin/agrep-lindict?query=%A4%5D&category=wholerecord&boo=or&order=all

isn't "還是" (hai2 shi4) a concrete, two syllable word by itself?
Can be, but the line is rather thin.
I can't seem to find any relation between them :o
They largely point towards the idea that a situation or state of affairs has not changed. I wouldn't expect anything neater than that from a natural language.

:mrgreen:

hmm... okay

if you are asking if a person has changed his plans, a response could be "I am STILL going to go to China"..."我还打算来中国" ?

and if you are asking if a person is ALSO going to China, the response could be the exact same "我还打算来中国" since 还 also means "also"?

hmm... okay

if you are asking if a person has changed his plans, a response could be "I am STILL going to go to China"..."我还打算来中国" ?

我还是打算去中国。You need 还是 here for "still", because 还 alone can mean "in addition", or "again".

and if you are asking if a person is ALSO going to China, the response could be the exact same "我还打算来中国" since 还 also means "also"?

我也打算去中国。

In addition to Quest's post above, I should say that the problem you have seems to be with the word "ALSO" in English itself. If you can separate the 2 (logical) senses of "also" in English, you'll see that 还 and 也 are actually not overlapping/ confusing:

He said A. He ALSO said B. (ALSO = 还 )

John said A. Mary ALSO said A (ALSO = 也)

我还是打算去中国。You need 还是 here for "still"' date=' because 还 alone can mean "in addition", or "again".[/quote']

okay, then the examples you posted from ( http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/cgi-bin/agrep-lindict?query=%C1%D9&category=wholerecord&boo=or&order=all ) are just specific cases where 还 means only 1 thing?

• 3 weeks later...

还 as a single character i believe it is like already said: it has no definite meaning. it can be used in 我还是打算去中国. to me if you say so: it of course means you still plan to go to CN; but i will feel there is some story before. it feels like something happened and that could have changed your mind but it didn't. e.g. the air-ticket to CN i found out is too expensive, but 我还是打算去中国. if you force me to give you a meaning of 还as a single character, it could be still.

也 it is different to 还. it means also, as well. it has definite meaning.

我也打算去中国 means i plan to go to CN as well.

clear enough?

I don't think so, but a native speaker may be able to say for sure.

hmm.. I think the answer lies in your comment ["He said A. He ALSO said B. (ALSO = 还 )] [ John said A. Mary ALSO said A (ALSO = 也)" ] and I am just having trouble wraping my mind around it because of my constricted English thinking :) i can't define the semantic difference although I see what you're getting at.

In this sentance, the speaker is talking about Chinese vocab and then mentions something else that is "also" a useful construction. Which one of your John/Mary examples does this apply to?

edit:

John said A. Mary ALSO said A (ALSO = 也)

X is a useful construction. Y is ALSO a useful construction.

So it should be 也, right? Or am I not applying your example correctly?

By the way' date=' are the commas in Chinese sentence quoted your commas or are they from the original?[/quote']

they are from the origional, I added them into show the 'pause' in the person's speech when they added "hai2 shi4 yi1 ge hen3 you3yong4 de", kind of like a side-comment

meaning they could have used "也" ?
Hi, Ferno, there may be some misunderstanding in our posts. I didn't see francisw2000's reply and I thought your question was still about the sentence "jie1 xialai yi1 ge, hai2 shi4 yi1 ge hen3 you3yong4 de, jie2gou4". If it was still about this sentence, then, as I already said, I don't think 也 here would convey the same meaning. In the same way, 我还打算去中国 and 我也打算去中国 are two very different sentences.

So, before I try again (or explain further), which sentence were you thinking about when asking the above question?

Ferno, compare the following (a) and (B) & their translations below:

(a) jie1 xialai yi1 ge, hai2 shi4 yi1 ge hen3 you3yong4 de, jie2gou4

The next structure, which is also a very useful one,

(B) jie1 xialai yi1 ge ye3 shi4 yi1 ge hen3 you3yong4 de jie2gou4

The next one is also a very useful structure

Please note: Your translation (=understanding) might have misled you into thinking ye3 can be used in the sentence quoted. Of couse, it can be, provided that the 2 commas are not there (with consequential change of meaning, as in my (B) sentence). Note also that (a) is only a phrase, not yet a sentence.