Chinese-Forums

I'm Irish and I want to join the chinese army. Need info. Plz help!

bob501

Not trying to jump on the bandwagon of this post too much, I have a simarly bizarre request, just out of curiousty and hypothetically, I just wanted to know what people knew about a foreigners chances of joining the CPC? I have heard about some UK academic who got a job as an advisor in regards to China's reforms and was afforded a place in the government (quite high up) anyway, it appears that he would be the highest up of any foreign national in the govt, not quite in the standing committee but he is allowed to attend national congresses etc. I don't know of any foreigners being actively involved in the CPC (other than through invitation as economic advisors like this British guy) since Michael Boridan (sp?) but I just thought it would be interesting if any foreigners joined the CPC or CCP (I hear the Chinese call it CPC and we in the west call it CCP). I think the major obstacle to joining the CPC would be paranoia about your motivations, ie why else would you want to join otherwise than be a spy? Seriously the CPC seems to be an extremely Chinese only activity, while understandable in some ways, I wonder if there is any chance it would become more diversified ie like the British labour party whose membership ofcourse a whole range of nationalities.

Why not join the US military? Irish citizens are probably one of the foreign nationals that are allowed to join the US military. You don't have to become a US citizen either, but joining the military, I think it's for 4 or 6 years is one of the ways to start the process towards getting US citizenship. If you join the Army or Air Force you could request to be sent to Korea. If you join the Marines you could request to go to Okinawa. With the Navy you could request the Pacific Fleet and probably be stationed overseas or Hawaii, or at least get to visit lots of ports in Asian countries that are friendly to the US.

• 2 weeks later...

"...three Brazilian born marines at the outset (Lance Corporal Daniel Moreira de Carvalho, Corporal Felipe Carvalho Barbosa and then Lance Corporal Felipe Santos Mesquita)..."

"...Carvalho and Barbosa, whose originally come from Duque de Caxias and Bento Ribeiro suburbs, from Rio de Janeiro city, among another Brazilian-born, have been deploying in Iraq for their first time since September 2005, attached with Echo Company, 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines Regiment..."

these guys was serving in US marines corps (2nd Batalion, 6th M), in Falujah - Iraq.

Well... Felipe Carvalho Barbosa died in an "accident" near Fallujah this week... Thats the prize to fight anothers war...

and thats a relevant issue to think about join a foreign army!

I think if you just want to get into a boot camp in PLA barracks, you may have better chance.

Every summer in Hong Kong, some High School students are recruited to the boot camp in PLA barracks in Guangzhou for short term training to experience military life.

In Taiwan, it used to be even non-resident students (i.e. overseas Chinese) in college had to go through harsh military training in the summer. But such requirement has been waived in the '90s.

IMO it is quite safe to enroll in PLA or Taiwan's military since both places haven't experienced war for decades.

I have enrolled in ROTC in college time. But looking at the past war record of US, I resisted the temptation of scholarship. Otherwise I may wind up in Afghanistan or Iraq now.

• 2 months later...

The Chinese like money. It's all about paying off the right people.

Perhaps they'll strike you an offer if you help organize a "study" program for foreigners in the PLA. How much would you pay to be in a PLA uniform for six weeks?

This news story just got released:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060424/wl_nm/china_army_dc;_ylt=ApAZxjCKQI8ddKCU7b20F.Os0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

New regulations for being in the PLA:

"China's army bans snorers, tattoo-wearers"

If you snore or have tattoos in prominent places, you're out of luck.

Well, not only does the Irishman's request to join the PLA seem to be a joke, but the PLA itself is starting look like a joke. Maybe it's becoming nothing but a parade outfit. Their outfits sure look more and more pretty. In decades past, the PLA was more than eager to send misfits to the frontlines and to their deaths. It was quite possibly just a convenient disposal of people; and lately the peasantry. The expendable human waves in the Korean War were mostly just hundreds of thousands of holdover Chinese and Koreans who were "puppet" soldiers in the Japanese Kwantung Army. They did their duties to help the Chinese Communists take out the Nationalists before 1950. They had no more use after that so off into the mouths of the American machine guns. After the disposal was complete, the truce was timely and convenient. Is Chinese history nothing but tragedy or what?

MCLC LIST

Subject: PLA puts snorers to bed

Source: The Independent (4/25/06):

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article359929.ece

Chinese army puts snorers to bed

By Jerome Taylor

The Chinese People's Liberation Army is bringing in new recruitment

guidelines to ensure troops continue to get a good night's sleep by banning

heavy snorers.

According to the official Xinhua news agency, any hopefuls who snore loudly

will be unable to join military school because "the nasal sound of chronic

snorers disturbs collective life". The report did not say how officials

would test recruits.

An army health official, Li Chunming, said tattoos would be forbidden under

the guidelines unless they were traditional decorations of China's many

ethnic and tribal minorities. "Tattoos will tarnish the military's image,

even the scars of removed tattoos," Mr Li said.

In a sign of the changing times, the army also announced it had begun

conducting urine tests for officers because of a surge in the number of

young Chinese drug users.

In decades past, the PLA was more than eager to send misfits to the frontlines and to their deaths. It was quite possibly just a convenient disposal of people... Is Chinese history nothing but tragedy or what?
Are you actually speaking for America? Is this the kind of misfits Bush has been sending to die in Afganistan and Iraq?

(Let the flaming begin!!! :mrgreen: )

Can't believe how long this thread has gone on for. It is ridiculous but I just can't help looking- like a bad car wreck I guess.

Seriously, wish we could have banned snorers back when I was in the Army. We had one guy--you can't possibly imagine. Everytime we were in the field we had to put up with him--it was even discussed in the command tent if he would poss a risk to a unit by being so loud--seriously!

the US isn't taking real casualties
In comparison with their enemies, they're taking less casualties, yes. But the casualties they take are not less dead. How are they not 'real casualties'?

Are you actually speaking for America? Is this the kind of misfits Bush has been sending to die in Afganistan and Iraq?

The term "misfit" was used somewhat derogatory, bigot'd and inappropriate here (by me).

Actually, American history does apply sometimes.

The current (May? 2006) issue of Smithsonian has an interesting article about blacks (or runaway slaves) who were often used "expendably" during the American Revolutionary War, both by the rebels and by the crown.

In WW2, the American military treated the Tuskegee airmen and the Japanese Americans of the 442nd in another kind of unequal way.

The outdated and unsound practice of romanticizing warfare seems to be still around. No snorers or tatoo wearers? No homosexuals? No pigeon footed soldiers? Somehow, your life has to be closer to being "unblemished" to be worth wasting. Ridiculous!

the US isn't taking real casualties

This may have been spoken fecetiously? I can't tell. It's always going to depend on who you ask. In the absolute sense, all casualties are real. In the postmodern era of relativism, who knows? American history does not count the number of Chinese who died in the building of the railroad as "real" costs. The relativism is popular and dangerously used in mob justice (that's an oxymoron). For another highly flamed topic, one can see the relativism used by Pro-Abortion lobbies. "So and so isn't a real life...or doesn't really feel pain..."

Philosophically speaking, these days, nothing is absolute. Just ask the average American driver what the speed limit means. Therefore, in a sense, none of the casualties are real.

The objective asks "What does this mean?"

The subjective asks "What does this mean to you?"

• 2 years later...

BUddy

the only way you can join the chinese military is if you become chinese citizen and you will have to give up your Irish citizenship.

You can join the military but you have to meet the requirements as any other military in the world.

YOu know the procedures. Certain height, weight, age, medical conditions.

Mandarin Chinese is the official language in the Chinese military.

It shouldn't be difficult. Most males who are not interested to study in University join the military in China. They are not smart either. You just need to be able to pass the military test in Mandarin Chinese.

Note: not cantonese!!!

Please make sure you are in good condition.. The chinese military will be happy to take anyone...Thus China has the biggest military in the world.

I recommend you move to Taiwan.

It's a good country and good friendly people who treat foreigners very well.

It's also a democracy. Don't confuse Taiwan and China...it may say ROC, but it's really not in the reality...

I have been a Taiwanese citizen for 2 years now. I married my girlfriend 8 years ago and love the life here... I am u.s. born who is Taiwan naturalized.

I swear you will love the life in Taiwan more than China...

Maybe it China goverment changes and the people get to choose Democracy, it would be better place to live.

I highly recommend moving to Taiwan. THe woman there loveeee foreigners and it won't be hard for you to get married.

Just try it if your not already married to Chinese.

Many americans move to Taiwan and some never get married, Some do...

some stay here forever because they are treated much better than their natural born countries.

The democracy here is better than usa of course.

Soon I will be joining the Taiwanese air force and serving and protecting this country is worth it.

Note: the longer you serve the more money you make...

For example: non-volunteers are those who only serve 1 year. THey only earn 6000NT a months, and get free food and room... and they can go home every saturday and sunday.

Volunteer soldiers have to sign a contract. If you serve 4 years or even 40 years you will earn 45,000NT a month and that is better than most people make with a college degree.

See the difference, the longer u want to serve, the more money you will start making...

The important things is you want to love the country and want to serve a country worth fighting for and Taiwan is one of them.

Go for it buddy.

Don't join the chinese military. It's not worth it... and they probably won't let you even if you are chinese citizen...

Taiwan will gladly welcome you and want to be your friend l o l

no kidding

they will be so shocked and help you...

And yes I do have to learn the language but theres a chinese girl I like who works in the deli down the road from me. Instead of asking her out Im gonna ask her to teach me a language!!!!

Bob, go date the Chinese girl and stay in Ireland. Like they said in the US back in the 1960s, make love not war.