Chinese-Forums

Chinese kids eating American junk food

bhchao

Yes (ha ha - good joke) I was also hormone produced, but I what I was obviously referring to was artificial hormones to encourage growth.

Most chickens in the west also are hormone generated, its just the way big business works. One of the reasons of cancer increases across the world.

DJC

With "free" I meant "outside". That's very restricted now. I presume most whats sold as "free range" is from inside keepings now.

No. In the UK selling or advertising chickens as Free Range which were kept inside would be illegal. There are fairly strict laws about what may be described as Free Range and they certainly can't be permanently kept inside.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodrin/poultry/faq/marketing.htm#freerang

I would imagine the laws in the US are similar.

And free range chicken is still available.

I wonder why it is that so many people get diarrhea in China. When I first came to China, I had it every day for a few months then finally got used to the food. But now, every time I go to a new city I get it again. It must be something in the food here that is universally put into most of the food here. (like hormones or something)

I wonder why it is that so many people get diarrhea in China. When I first came to China, I had it every day for a few months then finally got used to the food. But now, every time I go to a new city I get it again. It must be something in the food here that is universally put into most of the food here. (like hormones or something)

I think it's b/c when you go to a new city your body hasn't had sufficient time to develop immunity to the various germs there. A nurse told me that it takes about a year to develop good immunity to local germs, so don't move around too much! (I've never verified that nurse's statement, if anyone wants to confirm or refute it go ahead. )

I don't think this phenomenon is restricted to China or developing nations. After my first year in China I visited LA (where I'd never lived before) for a week upon entering the US and also contracted la duzi. I don't know whether it was the local germs or that after my time in Asia I'd grown unaccustomed to food cooked in butter.

Though this is not 100% topic-related as it pertains to junk food in general and not just American junk food, I've been told by all my American friends that China food will often give them severe cases or diarrhea.

I've grown up in LA so I can't verify whether foreigners to the States will get diarrhea. But when I went to Taiwan I never had this problem so I thought it might be China-specific. Thus, I come to believe that your statement about the body not adapting to the various germs to be true.

Most chickens in the west also are hormone generated, its just the way big business works. One of the reasons of cancer increases across the world.

Not true at all. The use of growth hormones in chicken raised for food is illegal in the USA. And probably other countries as well.

[see wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken#Growth_hormones, which references the FDA

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/hormones.htm ]

Not true at all. The use of growth hormones in chicken raised for food is illegal in the USA. And probably other countries as well.

I think this is missing the whole point. Animal protein almost certainly causes cancer. Read the China Study by Cornell Prof and former FDA advisor and 50-year researcher T. Colin Campbell. His "China Study" alone, in which he and senior Chinese researchers pooled data from hundereds of Chinese towns and cities and came up with more than 8,000 statistically significant associations, show that animal protein is related to most common diseases (ie. cancer, heart disease, diabetes, autoimmune diseases...etc).

I've grown up in LA so I can't verify whether foreigners to the States will get diarrhea. But when I went to Taiwan I never had this problem so I thought it might be China-specific. Thus, I come to believe that your statement about the body not adapting to the various germs to be true.

It could also depends on your friends and how sensitive their stomachs are.

I was worried about this sort of stuff before travelling to China, but I didn't have a single problem while there. I've covered a big number of cities and villages and ate anything other than the most offensive of street food.

I've been told by all my American friends that China food will often give them severe cases or diarrhea.

For those sensitive only in the early days. After some time the body will get used to the unhygienic food in China - but only those that keep the contact to it.

Beside the hygienic issue the oil may cause discomfort too, as Chinese food tend to be very oily - of the cheapest kind of oil too. And the re-use of old oil adds to it.

Not true at all. The use of growth hormones in chicken raised for food is illegal in the USA.

Beside growth hormones, which may or may not be used, you have a wide range of pharmaceuticals which all mass kept animals get. If you keep many animals in close space you must used pharmaceuticals to control diseases. Obviously this is in China less controlled then in western countries.

It's not just junk food, to be honest.

I'll use myself as a case study. I don't eat a huge amount of junk food - more than I should, but it's far from the major part of my diet.

I'm pretty seriously obese - 130 - 140KG, maybe 5'9" - 5'10".

Why? Coke, by and large, and other sugary drinks. Parents were pretty good about providing healthy meals (well, compared to McDonald's anyway :-)), and I didn't get fed terribly many sugary drinks, until I hit high-school, when I discovered that coke was really awesome, and that I would usually have enough money to buy myself a 1.5L on the way to school, which I would usually finish just as I was walking in the door.

Fridays I could happily go through 4.5L on my own.

Sure, you could say that my parents should have noticed, but my dad left sometime that year, and I suspect my mom was too upset to be paying much attention to the fact I was putting on a bit of weight.

Exercise? Nope. Walked to school, sure, but that was nowhere near enough. And I don't think computers are necessarily to blame - if there hadn't been one at home, it would have been reading or music or something similarly inactive.

The fact that I still have my teeth is insane, given how much sugar I put away. As is the fact that I don't (to the best of my knowledge) have Diabetes.

As I said, it's not just the junk food, and I would say that it's not always the parents fault, even if they're putting on weight before they're able to leave home and such. Hell, my teachers were pretty concerned, but I still managed to avoid paying attention. (Getting rid of the addiction and losing the weight is going to be hell).

Anyway, just a point of view (and story) from someone who's part of this whole 'obesity crisis'.

Many consumers (myself included) used to view McDonald's as being cheap quality.

However I think McDonald's has succeeded in adding profitable menu items that are healthier, or gives the impression of being healthy, than its standard menu of Big Macs and Quarter Pounders. I have become a fan of its chicken sandwiches in particular.

Even the quality of their coffee tastes better than Starbucks according to consumers. Dunkin Donuts is also said to make better quality coffee than Starbucks. (Ironically, the true junk coffee exists at Starbucks)

Now with the deep recession, people are returning to simple choices and viewing McDonald's with a golden eye.

How does one come to view McDonald's as quality? The bread is white, the food contains a lot of fat, and there's hardly any vegetables. Do people not know about vitamines? (Or is that a rhetorical question?)

Ipsi, good luck on loosing some weight. I guess it won't be easy, but the results will be worth it.

How come people always bash good ol' Mac D's for being unhealthy? I grew up on Mac D's and eat there at least 2 times a week. In fact I contribute some of my muscle mass (as well as a little extra body fat) to eating Quarter Pounders and Big Macs. French fries are in fact junk food but they taste so damn good who can resist. But I find nothing too unhealthy about their hamburgers. All food contains a little amount of saturated fats, and as long as you don't overdo it, you should be ok.

How does one come to view McDonald's as quality?

I thought so too. Then I was with a gf that worked as a food chemist for a company that does lots of independent food tests on shops, restaurants, industry etc. - incl. McDonalds. She pointed out how wrong I was. McDs standard is one of the highest in the industry. Top quality beef, hygienic and so on. What you do with it is another story.

There is nothing really wrong with McD as such, but one should watch the deep fried intake. That is fries, McNuggets, hash browns. And as ipsi() pointed out correctly the sugary sodas.

I used to drink a good amount of coke too. I cut down on it a lot and switched to water, coffee and here and then a beer. Now I find coke really too sweet.

Yes agree with many of the above posts:

1) Diet is the most important choice - exercise is only part of the healthy life style.

2) Genetics pays a bigger role losing fat, gaining fat, putting on muscle etc... The food choice one person makes will have a totally different result for another person.

3) Personally I believe in a balanced life - too much of anything and not enough of the other is also unhealthy. Its ok to eat some bad food sometimes, or drink some bad stuff, as long as its in your "off days'.

Years ago one of the most popular and good result diets on the market was the Bill Philips, EAS Body For Life diet and exercise plan. Where as 6 days a week you would be strict on your food and exercise and the 7th day have a rest and eat and do what you want - this way you can still enjoy life BUT still remain healthy.

DJC

• 7 months later...
Anyway, the problem is not american junk food, it's:

generally bad food choices

complete lack of nutrition knowledge

lack of exercise

stay indoors for homework and gaming

generally more income = more food to eat

Another problem is that people don't want to cook anymore. They say they don't have time, yet spent the evening glued to the TV watching Reality shows. Now, if they would cook more they have control over what they eat, gain more knowledge about nutrition and could save money while having more satisfying, tastier meals. Besides, cooking is fun!

Junk food and most processed foods reflects empty calories. Within an hour, you feel empty again and then snack on a bag of potato chips, a candy bar or a big bowl of ice cream.

In the US, serving sizes in restaurants (of the chain-type variety) have become ridiculously big. Patrons will finish their plate because Hey, they paid for it! Those serving sizes have become the new standard of what people in the US consider a meal.

I often go to coffee shops early in the morning and order a strong espresso with little water. Most other patrons order 20 oz of a coffee drink that have a five-word fancy name. It comes with flavors, syrups and whipped cream. To me, such "coffees" seem like a rich dessert. I couldn't even conceive drinking something like that at 6:00 in the morning.

My biggest criticism of our food supply is that so much of it is produced under horrible conditions (cattle, chickens) as if those poor animals were mere manufactured goods. So, i prefer a guilt-free vegetarian meal.

Besides, cooking is fun!

No, that exactly is the problem.

Cooking is as much fun as having your arms ripped off and your eyes gouged. It takes a lot of time, and it's boring.

People who like cooking are really lucky. Food you cook yourself is indeed cheaper and healthier than the stuff you can buy. But it's very much like building your own computer by soldering transistors together -- I don't have the time, I don't have the energy, and the results are usually far worse than whatever I can buy.