Chinese-Forums

Problem following Chowmein Pictorial Recipe

bitem2k

Hi,

Here is the recipe im using:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=76072

The instructions say that rice wine added to the wok will create a flame, however when i try the rice wine is vapourised and turned into steam (no flame).

Also

I think i followed the recipe, however the food i produce does not taste very nice and the flavours are very bland.

Is there any pitfalls that i might be falling into?

For that amount of ingredients, it looks like the measurement is incorrect.

tsp probably means Tablespoon and not teaspoon.

One thing to note is that the wok or pan must be very hot, that is key to stir-frying.

You shd also make sure the pan is smoking before oil is added.

Make sure your ingredients are not "wet", especially the noodles and meat.

It is well nigh impossible to have fire on the wok no matter how much wine you pour into it if your kitchen is installed with the gas stove that is suited for household use, i.e. 7,000 btu~17,000btu.

In order to have “wok qi” (the hot air that the wok preserves which every Cantonese chef emphasizes), you have to change your gas stove to the industrial kind – the powerful kind that are used by Chinese restaurant kitchens which can have flame higher than the wok.

And you’d better change your hood to the powerful kind with the chimney so that there can be better ventilation in the kitchen (There is a big chance that the fire alarm may beep if you got too much smoke).

And maybe you should redesign your kitchen cabinet setting too.

Other than that, you have to go to Chinatown to buy a new cast iron wok. Those pans with Telfon coating that you buy in Department Store simply don’t work on Chinese food.

That is all humbug.

So that is why you’d better go dine in Chinese restaurant.

I don't know abt teflon pans but I use a cast-iron skillet and I can get flames from a gas stove.

Just need a good amount of chinese cooking wine and you have to shake the skillet a bit, tipped slightly to let the vapors catch fire.

Skillets are great for stir-frying, the heat-retention is top-notch and the heavy weight gives your arms a good workout.