Chinese-Forums

Keats School, Kunming - A Query

Barb in Maryland

Came here for views on the Keats 20-week small classes course, but everyone seems to be talking about the expensive one-to-one course. Is this small class course new? Although its only 2 hours a day it seems reasonably priced to me and I like that they can help with visas.

I've been in contact with a number of universities which were more expensive. Tianjin Uni of Tech was the top of my list due to their prompt replies, relatively low cost and proximity to Beijing. Contacted Yunnan Normal and they sent me a 1 line reply saying 'go to our website'. When I emailed again saying the link to the application form was broken I never received a reply.

So hoping for better luck with Keats.

• Like 1

Is this small class course new? Although its only 2 hours a day it seems reasonably priced to me and I like that they can help with visas

It's a brand new venture' date=' as Keats have traditionally offered 1-2-1 - so cannot provide any additional information. Keep an eye on the website because there has been a lot of work here to really re-vamp the website in preparation for their new ventures e.g. small classes and online Chinese learning for Singaporean Elementary School students.

Quite a few of us [students'] were discussing these ventures at lunch the other day, speculating on where the small [Chinese] classes will be held because only the kitchen area is really large enough to hold 11 people (10 students maximum and the teacher). The current set-up [1-2-1 tuition] is such a good environment for learning Chinese, in terms of interacting with the other students and teachers - especially at break-times, as well as a 'homely' environment, so I hope that the new venture doesn't alter the existing dynamic too much.

Oh, SiMaKe, I understand that you and your lovely wife will feature quite prominently on the new website, when it's given it's facelift ;) I declined all invitations to appear in any publicity shoots, as I still harbour dreams one day of owning an over-stuffed cream leather chair, and a magnolia coloured cat sat on my lap.

Cheers!

P.s. Forgot to mention, drop Liu Zier an email and you'll be guaranteed a prompt response, that will satisfactory answer any of your queries.

re: Yunnan Normal University - it never ceases to amaze me at the number of commercial institutions (especially university administration departments) that really need both barrels from the CLUE gun, because the notion of customer service towards prospective students re: customers, is a foreign concept. Sadly, this isn't just China, but seems to be part and parcel of Universities in most places.

Edited by putonghua73
  • Like 1

I did contact Keats, and got an excellent reply that helped me out. So I've pretty much decided to go there, gonna head to Kunming tomorrow for a few days to check out the city for the first time, and hopefully organize a place to stay for when I'm studying.

I went to Keats School's Open House today. The school is very nice and clean. They showed me around, including the library, the lounge and classrooms. Yes, putonghua73, you are right. I did ask for a larger classroom as most of the classrooms are for 1-2-1. They told me they are opening a brand new campus somewhere in the city center. They want each department to be independent. Different locations for different programs, I think. After talking to them, I can tell they've already got a detailed plan for the small classes. I would go for the small class, and it seems that the price is quite reasonable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been their for a visit but study .The school is clean some foreigners were around review their classes .The school based on one 2 one .They design small rooms for this matter.the fees are high at least for me "100 per hour".They are going to design small classes in September but this is based on how many students they will have.The small classes must at least 4 students same level to start .The designed fees for the small classes is 2700.That's all i know for now .

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Can somebody telle me about how can we pay the course at Keats School ? I know we can pay the deposit with paypal but what about the total amount ? Do we need to pay cash ? It's a lot of money to bring with you !

Yep. Pay cash. China is a "pay cash" place.

But you can work out some bank transfer arrangement for receiving funds here in China from your bank back home. For that, see other threads.

• 1 month later...
EDIT: Actually I saw no info for small classes except during the summer for college students. And the 1-1 prices are insane.

You should fit in well with your antlers! (joking)

My apologies. It seems they have pulled the description and enrollment information for the small group classes off their website and have killed the ad on Go-Kunming as well. You will need to e-mail them for information. They usually reply promptly. Or you can phone them at 18987182139.

I attend one-to-one instruction there and am well pleased. But recently their small group classes have become extremely popular and are currently over-subscribed. They have had to struggle to keep the class size small and have turned many applicants away. That's probably why they stopped promoting them for the time being.

One-to-one costs 100 RMB per hour. Some of the pricing on the website is confusing if you don't read it closely because it includes other things, such as room and board, and isn't just for tuition.

Edit: I found an ad saying that another round of their small-group classes will start on March 21st. It was on www.gokunming.com, so I must have just missed it the first time I looked. You might also check this link for more information (I also missed it firt time I searched): http://www.keatsschool.org/new/week.html

I have no doubt that the prices are good for one to one training, but it's really more than what I'm looking for. I'm not actually planning on going until next year, so most of this info is not really applicable to me yet. Thanks for the info imron and abcdefg, I will certainly contact them later this year. Kunming sounds like a really interesting place.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • New Members

I am strongly considering Keats School either at the end of this year (2011) or early next year. I just re-checked the prices and for six weeks including meals it's $2560 I think it said. I haven't done a lot of checking to see what an average price is in Kunming, but I understand it's expensive compared to other ways to learn Mandarin. Still, I'm really a pretty introverted person and would not be very comfortable going out in the city and talking to as many people as I can. I know that's how you're supposed to learn, but I just can't do that so I really like how I would be one on one for four hours per day. The other hours I would watch as much TV as I could, listen to Chinese music, and read books. I would always want to be surrounded by the language in some form at least.

The other option for me is to go to Taipei. I have an online friend there who I've never met but we've talked on and off for nearly ten years and I thought about taking just 10 hours/week at the Mandarin Daily News and then getting a lot of practice in with my friend who I feel might make me more at ease and be a tour guide and help me get out in the city and practice too. That school appears to only cost US$150 per week which is much more affordable, although I'm still looking into how much accommodation would be. If I don't feel like I'll be comfortable or safe for a reasonable price, I may just go to Keats out of convenience.

I really like what I've heard about Keats, and when I e-mailed them with several questions two weeks ago, I got a really nicely written response in 8 minutes!!! I felt that was an excellent way to start out my correspondence with them and was very impressed.

But I'm the type who kind of needs my hand held one way or another. I'm learning how to read and write via Sktitter.com with my tablet and am really enjoying it. I've also gone through the Michel Thomas Method Mandarin program and 2/3 of Pimsleur, but it's just not enough. So that's my dilemma. I would love to go to Keats, but only if I can definitely stay on "campus" in the city center.

If I do end up going to Kunming and studying with Keats, I will absolutely post my experience and will probably keep a separate blog because I want people to have as much honest feedback as possible.

But I'm the type who kind of needs my hand held one way or another.

They will hold your hand at Keats as well as anyone can. They do an excellent job of that.

...and then getting a lot of practice in with my friend who I feel might make me more at ease and be a tour guide and help me get out in the city and practice too.

Your on-line Taipei friend may turn out to have a a more busy life life than you realize and may tire of being your ongoing tourguide and total interface with the local populace after a very short time. Probably best not to count on such services.

Still, I'm really a pretty introverted person and would not be very comfortable going out in the city and talking to as many people as I can.

If you are extremely shy, you might find a China immersion experience difficult. Bear in mind that part of what going to China is about is expanding one's comfort zone. Best to try it out briefly and see how it feels. Don't sign up for too many months of classes up front first time.

Strangely enough, I have recently been in touch with Keats and found them very responsive. I will also post a response here, if I choose to study with them.

The school seemed ideal for me, as I only have two weeks to spend in China and need to go somewhere which will offer intensive training and, crucially, accomodation and food. I can't think of anywhere else that offers it (as the BLCU courses are six weeks minimum) and I suspect you will get more opportunity to speak Chinese in Kunming than in Beijing. However, if anyone does have any alternative ideas - please do let me know!

As to the shy guy above, I wouldn't worry - intensive one-on-one sounds the way to go for you. Plus, if you are in somewhere like Kunming (or outside of Beijing, Shanghai etc), you may be forced into using your Chinese, introverted or not!

• 4 months later...