Chinese-Forums

Anyone noticing any POP3 and internet filtering issues?

roddy

This is slightly odd and it could be something specific to me, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar problems.

I've noted before that if you have your own website + attached email, certain types of spam can trigger Chinese internet filters while downloading via POP3 (or accessing via webmail) and thus temporarily cut you off from your email and website for several minutes.

Lately I've noticed this happening on an almost daily basis, despite not being able to identify any potentially offensive email - it almost seems that POP3 access itself is enough to trigger the filters for the IP address. It can even happen when there isn't even any email to download. It's intermittent, but been going on for maybe a week.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Roddy

Yes. I've had the same problem. I'm now redirecting all my mail from my site to a web based client. It is not a great solution, but I need my mail!

i, too, have such problems with my pop3/smtp account with my own website. it is quite annoying; i also have a lot of internet connection problems as well with china telecom's adsl service. i doubt they are related, but i wonder if other people are also frequently disconnected from the net dozens of times per day (maybe hundreds of times if you include when i am away from the computer).

My connection to the internet is fantastic - I can leave it running for days and days and while it might (very rarely) drop it reconnects automatically with no problem. But my connection to my websites has been seriously messed up by this POP3 issue, which has just started this week, and while I can't see why, it looks like the traditional naughty keyword filtering, but without the naughty keywords. I'm going to try webmail for a while to see if the same happens over the http protocol.

China Netcom hasn't bought shares in Gmail lately, no?

POP3 in GMail is completely encrypted, I believe, so there's no download problems there even with sensitive stuff. Maybe if you forwarded your server accounts through separate GMail boxes and then used POP3 on those, it wouldn't present too much of a disruption to your normal routine. And if you can use standard SMTP with no problem, you wouldn't even have to worry about using an improper address when replying.

The past few weeks have been a bit strange for filtering, I believe. Liuzhou may insist that Technorati is up, but for me, I can only get it without a proxy for about five minutes every morning.

I think I'm maybe tracking the problem down to a certain kind of spam - although there aren't any actual keywords in it, perhaps the website link it contains is a problem. Will keep researching. Pain in the neck, whatever the cause. Or perhaps it's a new government anti-spam measure - remove all email and internet access from anyone who attempts to receive spam, and hey, you solve spam . . .

This is really doing my head in, especially when all my sites appear to be down for an hour and I then realise that Thunderbird is still running, idly triggering filters every 10 minutes. Currently researching encrypted mail access :roll:

Victory!!!!

Quick email to my hosting provider and they confirm they do support pop3 over ssl (or ssl over pop3, who knows), quick tweak of my thunderbird settings (account settings > server options > Use secure connection : SSL and I'm away . . .

Roddy

34sp.com, who host this site, seem to offer it as standard. They're solid, never had any problems with them and support is very quick and efficient. Did move away from them to a cheaper firm once, which resulted in the longest period of downtime so far and a very quick move back . . .

I was looking at 34sp.com earlier, when someone else recommended it to me (before I mentioned I needed SSL POP3 support).

I found this on their forums

http://www.forums.34sp.com/viewtopic.php?t=8008&highlight=ssl

which, although a year old, lead me to believe that they didn't offer SSL POP3. I guess they have implemented this feature since then.

Thanks for the tip, Roddy. Is there a commission you can get if you recommend someone who signs up? If I decide to go ahead, I'll say you recommended me :)

Probably worth checking before you sign up - I am on a reseller account, so it may be different to the standard hosting account. Also, if I remember correctly, you are not yet in China but coming out for a short course in the summer. If thats the case you might be better off waiting - the problem could fix itself (and they will find everyone is suddenly using encrypted mail - HAH!) or it might just be easier to use webmail for the duration of your stay.

I think 34sp.com does have some kind of affiliate program, but Im not worried about it - very rarely refer people.

Roddy

I'm planning on studing from September until December or January. I want to change hosting companies anyway, as arrowweb.net charge loads and include many services that I don't need.

SSL email is useful anyway - it's private stuff after all.