Chinese-Forums

Anyone noticing any POP3 and internet filtering issues?

roddy

Ah ha - I notice that this email problem is happening to others too. Technically speaking, if I look in my Outlook Express POP3.log file, I see that the connection is cut after the retrieve command of the first email. However, when I do a tracert to the email server on my domain, every time I get that it is stopping at an address in the UK, so it makes me think that this is not a chinese connection problem, but....there again, it could be I suppose. I can send emails, I can access my web email client, but cannot pick up anything from PC via POP3. Sometimes, very rarely, it was working at the start of the problem, but now it just downloads the first email, and then claps out. The next time, it downloads the first email again, then stops, and so on... etc. A real nuisance. Dont know if my hosting company offers SSL for POP3, I'll have to find out if this is the solution. Anyway, another piece to the jigsaw. Paul :-)

I also recommend www.mail2web.com

This can be set up with all your POP3 passwords, and offers an SSL function too.

Of course, SSL won't be active between your ISP (who hosts your mailbox) and the mail2web domain, but it will be active between the mail2web domain and your client PC. As it is this last step which bores through the Great fireWall of China, that should be adequate.

I've been using mail2web as a web front end to my emails for a few years and it's always worked well.

• 7 months later...

Over the last couple of days I've noticed this happening again, despite the fact that I'm still using encrypted POP3. Anyone else? I don't think it's to do with the Internet slowdown - it's very clear that attempting POP3 access starts working ok, cuts out, and then I get cut off from sites on that IP address for a few minutes. There's nothing on my account that would trigger filters normally.

• 2 weeks later...

youpii, I've used IMAP quite a bit in the past. Either at work or with .Mac. It's nice to have all your email available from both webmail and on your computer. Pop can somewhat keep things synced but it's not as smooth.

Now that I'm in China, I noticed the filtering. Wikipedia is blocked. I can use Tor to get to it thought the speed is kinda slow. I think there are probably some other proxys that work better? I'm not sure if any are free or there are good services to subscribe to.

excellent. Thanks! It seems wikimirror has a few server problems at the moment. I'm not sure if wikimirror also mirrors other languages? I usually use the English, French, German, and Chinese pages. It's always possible to download the entire site to my computer. Might have to do that!