Chinese-Forums

Northern Cuisine

Guest Wuliao

• 1 year later...

Bei Fung has a great selection of local specialties. With the close approximation to Russia you can easily find fantastic garlic sausage that make an excellent xiao chi. Also Deer meat and yes stewed bear paw can be found. Again things such as bear paw may support illegal hunting and should be considered before you order.

well I am Harbin, the farthest large city in Northeast china, and after about 5 months now I have gotten a bit tired of northern cuisine, it is fairly simple, as the growing season is shorter up here, and it often times lacks the complexity of flavors in southern and sichuan food. Lots of staple food such as potatos, peppers, cabbage, and lots of meat. Its cold up here, so anything hearty and warm seems to keep the Dong Bei ren happy. I find myself looking for waidi cai guan almost everyday, I can't wait to get down south and eat what I consider to be the better food in China.

jim

I was going to ask if there was a simplified version of 'biang' --- jokingly. But then I found one and it is STILL over 40 strokes! It wouldn't copy here, tho, but it is easy to figure out.

But I did a google and found this doggeral on 'biang'.

一点一横长, 二字下来口四方.

一边一个丝绕绕, 你也长我也长, 中间夹个马儿郎.

心字来打底, 月字来帮忙, 打个钩钩挂衣裳.

But I did a google and found this doggeral on 'biang'.

一点一横长, 二字下来口四方.

一边一个丝绕绕, 你也长我也长, 中间夹个马儿郎.

心字来打底, 月字来帮忙, 打个钩钩挂衣裳.

That's sounds pretty complex! On the TV series that I'm watching, 西安虎家, the actor Li Qi sings a song about how to write this character, which is kind of funny. I've been looking around in Shanghai for any 陕西 restaurants in order to try biang biang mian, but no luck.

In any case, I really like northen food, for its simplicity, heartiness, and spiciness. It's also usually fairly cheap.

• 2 months later...