Chinese-Forums

Kissing

Amdir_Flassion

It seems to me that lots of traditional minded Chinese don't like the full on lip-to-lip kissing, and so as many amongst the young people as well. Whereas in the West lip-lip kissing is normal and some go even further (which I will not describe in detail), it seems like most Chinese I know of have a revulsion to lip-lip contact.

Like, I have Chinese friends who go out with their partners and they hold hands and hug each other and put themselves into each other arms, but I've never seen full on lip-lip kissing. On the other hand, my Western friends do it quite casually and without hesitation with their partners.

Is it like one reason is because of the 'germs' factor? That's what my parents say - the 'saliva sticking' or 刺口水 is a turnoff, and one reason why I've never seen them lip-on-lip kiss.

Do you find that Chinese tend to be more hesistant to this type of physical contact?

What's this, Chinese people don`t snog?? Well I know at least one who does...

But lots of westerners (and me and my wife) have this little ritual of pecking on the lips when we go our separate ways for the day, and when we meet in the evening. If we're going to be apart for more than a few days we generally have a bit of a snog at the airport.

These rituals are part of greeting/ saying goodbye. And I think in the west we make a lot more fuss and bother about saying hello and goodbye than Chinese people do anyway.

Like, I have Chinese friends who go out with their partners and they hold hands and hug each other and put themselves into each other arms, but I've never seen full on lip-lip kissing.

it doesnt mean it never happend, my answer is that it's not the chinese way--kissing in public to express their emotion.

What about chinese people who don't kiss?

i've ever seen late in the evening a lot of youg couples in a passionnate lip-to-lip/tongue-to-tongue kiss. But they do it when there aren't too poeple around.

If we don't see many people kiss as westerners, it is more I think a question of keeping their intimacy and because this kind of attitude (kissing in public) is relatively new in the habits of China. And perhaps because there are still old people to look shocked as they see young people kissing lip-to-lip (eeeeeeeee... 看不惯)

But it's not only Chinese in China who don't snog in public as much u reckon? Living in Australia, I know that even local Chinese youths don't lip-lip kiss in public as much as anyone else - no matter how 'assimilated' u are. Holding hands is more prevalent.

But the big question is, where did kissing come from? Is like there an 'origin' of lip to lip contact? I mean, what is special about the lips? I see it everywhere and take it as a sign of love, but how did it come about?

Chinese did kiss dating back at least 500 years ago.

In the erotic novel Jin Ping Mei 金瓶梅 written during Ming Dynasty, there were vivid descriptions of kissing scene. But they were depicted as preludes of sexual intercourse only.

Well, it feels nice. It's bonding and intimate because it's a way of making the other person feel nice. It's reminiscent of the sexual act but without taking any of your clothes off. Try it Jasmine, you'll like it.

Is there an origin? It seems sort of intuitive and obvious, to me.

[edit. Cleared out about 10 pointless posts from this topic. If you have nothing of use to say, please don't bother saying it. Roddy]

I've never kissed a girl in China :( but from my experience in Taiwan it seems Taiwanese girls like kissing as much as girls from any other country. As has already been noted above Chinese (and I use Chinese in the most general sense) people are more conservative about expressing intimacy in public. In private though I think people are people and they are much the same everywhere.

• 3 months later...

I believe it was a feeding ritual of some kind? I'm no anthropologist, but I think this is a fairly universal human behaviour. Don't other primates do it too? (less though I think)

:conf

btw snog is long-time full-on kissing, usually with tongues. Probably only British English. I believe there's a word 'pashing' (from passion) - Australian English? :)

So far I don't see any Chinese male willingly engage in another form of kiss (cunn......). Such act is not even portrayed in any erotic Chinese novels.

:shock: maybe u havent read enuff... :shock:

try modern writer jia pingwa then u might find some...

can you imagine if the majority of Chinese couples began "snogging" on the streets? You would never have any peace...

Personally, I am not too fond of seeing saliva exchanges in front of my face...If someone wants to do it, they can do it in private. Of course, for a lot of young couples in China this is not really an option. Hence the large number of Chinese students slurping on every bench in public parks in the evenings...

I really don't think it has anything to do with the fear of germs...As you have mentioned, it is more of a cultural thing - it's simply not considered polite to french-kiss in public view, meanwhile leaving the bystanders in an awkward situation

I think people are too uptight about this. What harm does it do? Does it corrupt the innocent and impressionable youth?

Let's have more people kissing in public! It'll make people happier, less stressed, and closer to each other.