Chinese-Forums

Favorite Chinese (Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese) TV Series

Guest Wuliao

Only Taiwanese series I watched which I thought was quite good - "Ya Qi" (Mute Wife) long time back.

A few extremely old ghost series on SBC. (Singapore Broadcasting Channel)

Quite a few HK series (Seeking Qin, The Tycoon, etc.)

Most recently, the Taiping Rebellion and the Qianlong series from CCTV.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked TVB's THE GREEN HOPE (新鲜人), which was apparently really unpopular with HK people when it was aired. I heard then network kept it in the can for like a year after it was finished, and only ever aired it because it had been popular on video with overseas Chinese.

I though Stephen Fung was great, and was surprised that he's been so lackluster in the movies I've seen him in.

The first three weeks of the series were really well written, but I felt like after that, there was some sort of writer change, like they had brought in another person to work on it who wasn't so talented. The focus of the show shifted. I've noticed that on other TVB shows too -- it seems like after the first half of the show is done, they're like, "Everybody who's going to watch it is already watching it. Let's switch to the BAD writer."

Bowie Lam and Yoyo Mung were also very good. I did like the very serious storyline, which I guess HK people didn't get into that much.

buddy' date=' it's 隋唐英雄传, not 随---- 8)[/quote']

I've read a story in which the founder of the Sui 隋 dynasty was not pleased with the 辶 in the original 随 because he feared the empire would slip away from his hands, and decided to simplify...

(CHS is very old!)

For all his precautions, he and his dynasty did not last long...

buddy' date=' it's 隋唐英雄传, not 随---- 8)[/quote']

I've read a story in which the founder of the Sui 隋 dynasty was not pleased with the 辶 in the original 随 because he feared the empire would slip away from his hands, and decided to simplify...

(CHS is very old!)

For all his precautions, he and his dynasty did not last long...

hehe, funny story! you are so informative! :D

Sorry to say this ... But it is 血戰 ... You sure keep very updated about HK TV. I turn it on every night but do not bother to watch it. It is a torture to look at Lisa Wong (she used to be so beautiful).

And recently the HK stock index has been falling, and already there is talk about whether it has to do with this series (i.e. featuring 鄭少秋). You see this really shows that some actors are very dear to the hearts of the audience (they remember what happened whenEVER he was on TV).

Well, specifically, I'm looking for the DVD set of the CCTV version. The other versions I couldn't care for. I've went through YesAsia before, and their North American site has the CCTV version on DVD but it's manufacturer is "World Video." I've had bad experiences with World Video and their "US Versions" of Chinese videos, and judging by the disc number of the set, it's no doubt another horrid transfer. Any other suggestion besides AV89, Layoyo, and Sensasian would be good.

Recently, I watched a few Chinese TV series such as 雍正王朝, 康熙大帝, 走向共和 and 大宅门. They are great. The first three programmes are talking about history. The last one is also touch history indirectly. It describes a history of a family (Bai as their surname) from Qing Dynasty till Ming Guo, about 100 years.

Quest. you are right, it is 血薦軒轅. But what does it mean?

From a (censored) chapter of a famous book of a recent French Nobel prize :wink: :

一代文豪魯迅,一生藏來躲去,後來多虧進了外國人的租界,否則等不到病故也早給殺掉了,足見這片國土,哪裡也不安全。魯迅詩文中有句 :“我以我血薦軒轅”,是我做學生時背誦的,如今不免有些懷疑。軒轅是這片土地上傳說的最早的帝王,也可作祖國,民族,祖先解,發揚祖先為什麼偏要用血?將一腔熱血濺出來又是否光大得了?頭本來是自己的,為這軒轅就必須砍掉!

(sometimes 濺 is found instead of 薦)

nnt, not (spill/splash), but .

OK. I have googled for it. It is from a poem of Lu Xun.

自題小像

靈臺無計逃神矢,風雨如磐闇/暗/黯故園。寄意寒星荃不察,我以我血薦軒轅。

And the dictionary says that "" also means ""/"". So it means "dedicate". And of course "軒轅" means China. Now the meaning is clear.

And here is an interesting report on 「丁蟹效應」.