Chinese-Forums

new HSK exam levels

gegehuhu

According to the "汉办那点儿事儿" article, Hanban has been using its own version of HSK for tests outside of China since March 19, 2006. BLCU had been providing Hanban with the tests before then, but starting with the test in South Korea in March 2006, Hanban started to use its own version, but without labeling it the "new HSK" and without telling the test takers that the tests they were taking were different from the ones given inside China. The article says that there were problems with the scoring methodology of the Hanban tests, and many students complained to BLCU, not knowing that BLCU had nothing to do with the tests.

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_6003c29b0100jz0j.html

"汉办”那点儿事儿(之六)

2005年底,北语隐隐约约听到一些传闻,说“汉办”在秘密地组织一些人出题,但传这些消息的人都讳莫如深,语焉不详……

2006年……按计划,3月19日在韩国的考试是这一年的第一场考试。

前边交待过,早在10年前,“汉办”就把国外考试费收入自己囊中,而国外考试所用的试卷(题目)仍然是北语的,考后的阅卷、评分等也是北语负责,其成本也由北语支付。也就是说,国内国外使用的都是同一个HSK,但国外收入归“汉办”。尽管这对北语已经很不公平了,但北语似乎也没有大的怨言。

按这种所谓的“分工”,每次国外考试前,北语要把试卷、听力磁带等所有的东西准备好,“汉办”在考前1周左右把这些东西领走,或是邮寄到考试地点,或是随身带走。考试回来后,“汉办”要把所有的东西交还北语,由北语评分。

这一年的3月初,北语准备好了韩国考试要用的东西,等着“汉办”来取。离考试(3月19号)还剩一周的时候,北语纳闷?“汉办”怎么还没动静?于是给“汉办”打电话,催他们来取试卷。没承想“汉办”要么不接电话,要么说管事的人不在。北语就开始怀疑了。

终于,在考前第三天的16号,北语打通了“汉办”一个副主任的电话。北语问:怎么回事?对方吞吞吐吐(或羞羞答答?)地暗示:以后的国外考试不用你们的试卷了,海外考试你们不用管了。

几个月前的传闻得到了证实。

原来,“汉办”找了一些人出了一些题,自己(也许是找人)编了试卷;试卷在韩国印刷。试卷的外观和北语的完全一样,但题目、试卷、以及将要报给学生的分数的质量和真正的HSK大不一样(这场考试的成绩报出去之后,北语收到大量的考生投诉,称自己的分数不对)。

(从2006年3月19日至今,所有国外考试的HSK试卷都是“汉办”弄的,所以从那时起,国内国外就出现了两个样子虽相同但质量完全不同的“HSK”,最近,那个假冒的HSK也在国内出现了,详下。)

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned before that I believe that Hanban is overestimating their level, but the Association of Chinese Teachers in German Speaking Countries is underestimating the HSK levels. I haven't really explained why I believe this, but should probably do so.

I written some software to help me learn Chinese (basically it is SRS like software, combined with with an interface the CCDICT dictionary, interface the HSK word-lists, 3 Chinese corpus lists, software to extract (known and unknown) words from texts and so on). This allows me to know how often the words I learn are used, which HSK levels they belong to and so on. Currently I have learned 9229 items. I learn always words and never specific characters, but sometimes also add useful patterns. So I don't know 9229 words. Until recent, I've mostly been learning from handbooks and graded readers and I have the feeling that most the words they learn you, more or less correspond to the HSK levels and to the ranks in the 3 corpora I have. A year ago I knew most words from New HSK1 up to New HSK 4 (which are in total 1200 words), around 1/4 of the words of new HSK 5 and almost none of new HSK 6, but I knew many more words at that time (which are also often used, but not in the new HSK lists).

I just extracted similar statistics. I currently almost know all words up to HSK 5 (I know 2433 of 2500), but only 236 of the 2500 extra words in HSK 6). So although I'm not learning specifically for the new HSK, the words in the different levels seems to match what I know remarkably well. So if I'd only look at the new HSK I would guess my level is around HSK 5, so I know around 2500 words. But in reality I know a lot more.

As I already mentioned I also add useful patterns, so it isn't very easy to know how many words I really learned, but I learned:

1112 unigrams

4440 bigrams

1343 trigrams

1129 4-grams

If I just add the unigrams and bigrams, I have 5552 items. I believe this is an underestimate of the words I know.

So I believe that the new HSK is not a good tool to learn Chinese, but for me at least I is pretty useful and very consistent tool to gauge my level.

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

I knew it! I was looking at the new hsk the other day and going--did my chinese really get that good? no, these test are too easy. level 5 feels lower than the intermediate level i attempted to sit in the old hsk a few years back...............

i need hsk level 7 or 8 for entrance into school in china-------does anyone know if the new exam is gonna be ok? i guess i can ask the school, but what can ya do if no old hsk is offered?

is it true that the old hsk is being offered in china? where abouts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took the level 6 practice test 阅读 and 综合 online and got through with slightly over 90%. I took a 高等(北语版)practice test and didn't quite clear 50% on those two sections. So yeah, I'd say the 汉办 version is considerably easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Damnn I'm totally confused now.

On BLCU website there is written that they require 'HSK certificate (level 3 or above)' if I want to enroll in any B.A. Program.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanyu_Shuiping_Kaoshi do I have to know only 623 characters and 600 words if I want to pass this exam on intermediate level?

Thanks in advance!

I'm taking the HSK at a Confusis Institute inside the United States in roughly 7 months...I'll be graduating from college in Spring 2012 and am planning on doing my Master's in Linguistics in China.

Anybody know what level I'll need to pass on the new HSK for me to be eligible for graduate programs?

In order to be eligible for graduate programs you have to be able to read this page: http://www.chinesetesting.cn/gonewcontent.do?id=1384264 :P

Actually the page only tells the requirement for undergraduate programs.

This was my very rough translation some time ago:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/21540-new-hsk/page__view__findpost__p__220087

• 1 month later...

In response to what level is required, programs in the sciences used to require old level 3 and humanities level 6. Now they say new level 4 and 5, respectively. I have to say based on the practice tests that the new one seems easier and a little more practical. Just my two cents.

• 4 months later...

I am enrolled to study at BLCU as a CSC student from this September (next week!). However, in order to qualify to study on my masters course afterwards, I'll need HSK level 5 and the corresponding Advanced level oral test. Can anyone advise me, is it unrealistic to aim to get these levels in one year (without studying so hard as to have a nervous breakdown - need to keep my music skills up!), with no Chinese to begin with?

Thanks!

Sorry, just to confirm, I mean the new HSK. thanks!