Chinese-Forums

Teresa Teng

badatpool

Yeah, I've got a CD of her's. A friend in china gave it to me when I left there last because he liked the song "Moon Represents My Heart" or 月亮代表我的心. Personally I like "Night of Hong Kong".

I sang 月亮代表我的心 and 甜蜜蜜 with Teresa Teng when she made a surprise appearance at a private Double 10 party in Hong Kong in 1994. She suddenly got on stage and invited me to sing with her and later that evening told me that she had never sung in Chinese with a foreigner before.

We were supposed to get together again the following year but unfortunately she passed away.

My other favorite songs are 你怎么说 and 何日君再来 and 风从哪里来 and 原乡情农 as well as the Cantonese 忘记他

Unlike ABC's, I never knew who Teresa Teng was. No one ever formally introduced me to her. But as I've listened to her songs in the last few months, I've realized how special and unique her voice is. In China, I've been to a lot of restaurants and company get-togethers that had her songs playing in the background. It's funny. Sometimes, years later, you'll listen to something, maybe a song you didn't like much in the first place, but you'll realize the sentimental value it had later. Maybe Green Day or Pearl Jam provided the good times you had with your friends in high school. Maybe it was Guns 'N Roses or, God fear, Linkin Park. And even if some song is about suicide, it reminds you of a certain girl that you've lost touch with, or whatever.

For me at least, looking back on my first few great years in China, many of her songs will be the soundtrack to good times that I've almost forgotten, remembering friends that I've already lost touch with.

Also, my wife (Vivien) has a customer (born in Dongbei, fled to Taiwan, finally going to the US). He was friends with Teresa's brother when they were kids, apparently. He said she was a completely normal, unpretentious, fun girl in childhood.

sang 月亮代表我的心 and 甜蜜蜜 with Teresa Teng when she made a surprise appearance at a private Double 10 party in Hong Kong in 1994. She suddenly got on stage and invited me to sing with her and later that evening told me that she had never sung in Chinese with a foreigner before.

This is one of the most cool/depressing things I've ever read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been listening to Deng Lijun in the car during my commutes to and from work through rush hour traffic. Just listening to her voice takes the stress away while sitting in "parking lot traffic" after a long day's work.

Her "我只在乎你" is my favorite over "月亮代表我的心". Each of us has different tastes, however I like the former for its inspiration and upbeat tone, while the latter is soft and tender, although a little too sweet for me.

I guess I discovered Teresa Teng through the movie Comrades, Almost a Love Story. Then I started noticing her songs everywhere. I don't think she's too sweet, though I understand why people say that. But life is hard enough anymore that it never hurts to have a little more sweetness. Her voice is amazing. I'm really not a fanatic, but I do like her a lot. I guess I listen to a lot of 'sappy' music anymore. :roll:

Just last week, I saw an old tape my parents have of an HK TV special of hers. She sang various Cantonese songs with George Lam, Alan Tam and Ricky Hui !

• 1 year later...

A white guy's rendition of 月亮代表我的心:

What do you think? Nice tribute and good voice, but needs clearer pronunciation in some parts, especially when pronouncing 亮. Also the foreign accent is audible.

Grade: B- to C+ on the singing. A on the video.

A white guy's rendition of 月亮代表我的心
I agree, nice tribute and a good voice, but pronounciation is a bit off sometimes. And he joins wo and ai, so that he sings woai instead of Wo ai. Teresa Teng really has a very clear pronounciation.