Chinese-Forums

Forum Get-together, Friday 8th, 7:00pm

billiardsmike

I think if I was billiardsmike, I would wear a funny hat rather than a summer (Hawaiian) shirt, it is getting a bit chilly now with this gale blowing, in fact... maybe one of those sticks with a little green flag on the top like the tour guides have at the Summer Palace....:D

I'm HERE!!! I can't believe it. And today had my first solo adventure (minus Chinese friend). Found the famous pancake seller outside BLCU gate (the one recommended in one of the Forums). WONDERFUL!

I'll be there tonight with 2 English-speaking Chinese friends. They aren't Beijingers, but could probably give useful advice re: things in general to those of us totally new to the country.

I'm hanging out for the beer, but does anyone know if the International Beer Garden also has food? Is 7.00 dinner or just pre-dinner drinks?

See ya' later!

Mado

Sorry I couldn't make it, I spent most of the evening (with the help of a Beijinger friend, luckily!) in rental agencies trying not to get annoyed when they suggested that the way to find an apartment for 5 months was to sign a 12 month lease and then hope to get replacements when I move out.

As it was a fruitless search, I wish I'd not bothered and downed a few cheap beers instead.

Will merge this with the Meet-up thread so the right peope see it.

Was a good night - I'd say maybe 30 people in total, although maybe not everyone was there at the same time - some left early, some arrived late, etc. Mostly BLCU folk but a fair number of BNU students and a couple of 'randoms'. Quite a few people went on to Lush I think.

I seem to remember telling a couple of people I would email them about where to do / buy various things. Completely forgotten who though, so drop me an email if it was you :oops:

Credit to Mike for sitting around in a short-sleeved shirt all night so people could find him.

Roddy

Oh regret. Regret. Saw the post about the meetup before but not the scheduled time from this one. Guess I should have subscribed to the thread. But I had fun: I spent another Friday night . . .in my office. Wow. I am now officially a loser.:mrgreen:

Hope there is a next time.

It was a great night! So nice to put faces to all those net-names. Adrianlondon, you were missed. Hope you found a flat. Apparently a short-term lease is very difficult to get if you want to live on your own. If you are willing to share, it is much easier to find. Have you tried the Thatsbeijing website?

Roddy, I was one to ask you about buying something (a chair, actually) but everyone take note-- there are free mini-buses that take you out to what might be called 'furniture city' for free and I found a wonderful traditional Chinese rocking chair with a little foot-rest thingy--perfect for taking the weight off one's back--and then was deposited back in the neighbourhood (of BLCU) by the little bus, free again, and the chair was delivered about an hour later.

Anyway--it was great catching up. Anyone interested in a series of dinners out at various regional restaurants? Paul's girlfriend is from Harbin and that was being mooted as the first cuisine to explore. Anyone interested for future get-togethers?

Mado

Anyone interested in a series of dinners out at various regional restaurants? Paul's girlfriend is from Harbin and that was being mooted as the first cuisine to explore. Anyone interested for future get-togethers?

Mado

Just say the word. I have been looking forward to getting out and about to try new foods.

I know I was warned about the baijiu, I just wish I had listened, oooohhhh!

You and me both Mike... Last thing I remember, I was on stage at Propaganda making an ass of myself. A few hours later I finally make it home and realize that I have no wallet or passport. Although the passport is fairly easy to replace, it was an expensive lesson.

haha seems like you guys definitely don't have "hailiang" when it comes to drinking?!

Hey Qcash3 you lost your passport already? didn't you just come out to China? haha take care of your personal belongings! Well I don't recommend you guys go out drinking with anyone from Haerbin if that's what you plan on doing next since those peeps will outdrink you in a second! But my recommendation, bring a friend, slowly eat yang xiezi or huo guo, and go through about 200-300 ml of erguotou each over 4 hours. Do this a few times and you won't ever have to worry about letting any lesser alcohol ever effecting you.

Ok, now to the point of my reply, I hereby request that the next meetup (or the next next one) be held after the October HSK! thx =D

Actually, a meet-up, or series of meet-ups based around the HSK would be a good idea - maybe two or three in the run-up for comparison of textbooks / study methods, etc, and a final one after the exam for post-match analysis. Not sure how many of the Sept starts would be taking the exam in October though.

Yes, a good evening on Friday. It was a shame it was so cold as I bet that place is really buzzing in the summer and the warm weather. We had to go home early because we did not wear enough clothes and we were just so cold, but it was nice to meet at least some of you. There were lots we didn't have time to meet though. The bus trip from Chaoyang is a bit of a trek, took us an hour at least and there were no seats the whole way except for the last 5 minutes. Don't you just love those kind of bus trips?

There must be some other forum members who live over the east side (as well as stickyrice) of town, so maybe we organise another get-together half way between or over here sometime. We'll have to see how it pans out. I'll have a think about the NorthEast restaurants and see if we can think of a nice one not too expensive. How are all your chopstick skills those of you who have not been in China long? You may need to brush up on them a bit 'cos where food is concerned it's every man for himself !! haha I still find rice porridge quite challenging with chopsticks and normally resort to a spoon for the last few grains....

I think this week the enormity of the studying situation will begin to hit home, and you get to realise that the western way of education is totally different from the Chinese way. Good luck to all you ppl who have just arrived. You are better men (and women) than me I am, I'm afraid, 'cos I didn't stick at it and 18 months on, I still dont know a bu4 from a qu4. Actually, it is not that bad, but you get my meaning.

Anyway, good luck in your studies, and when the stresses and strains of learning all those 30-50 characters per night sets in, I can probably help you from pulling all your hair out with frustration.

The books on the tables were a good idea, and thanks to Mike for making it all happen.

Cheers,

Paul