Chinese-Forums

Chinese cuisine in Europe

Yang Jiang

Anyway in Italy chinese cousine is mainly about business,with this i mean that there isnt any passion of doing what they do and you can feel it.Yeah,most of them are very polite and friendly but the food sucks.

Italy is a special case. Italian food is probably the best food in the world and Italians are extremely picky.

If you take them to a Chinese Restaurant they will tell you it's "nice", which is a flat out lie. They hate it. Actually, in Italy you find very few other then Italian restaurants. And the "other" are mainly Chinese. I still have to see a Greek or Thai restaurant there.

But frankly, why would anybody go for Chinese food in Italy?

Cool; now I know the correct Western name (I was searching for "hua jiao" before),

Interesting side note (as this is a language forum), I ask in a Sichuan restaurant for the name of "hua jiao" (not knowing then what it was), interestingly in Sichuan they pronounce it "fa jiao", flower there is FA, same like in Cantonese....

The mutation of /h/ to /f/ is common all over Southern China. When I lived in Hunan, my neighbours were living in "Fulan"!

Interestingly, the reverse often happens when you look at Spanish words derived from Latin.

But frankly, why would anybody go for Chinese food in Italy?

That's very true. I had Italian pasta, pizza while I was there.

Did you know that there's no Pizza Hut in Italy?

Because they believe that American do not know how to make good pizzas! :mrgreen:

K.

Did you know that there's no Pizza Hut in Italy?

Because they believe that American do not know how to make good pizzas!

oh, really? I didn't know Pizza Hut makes Pizza. Always thought they do those strange tomato cakes.

(In all fairness, I had fantastic pizza in San Francisco, not in Pizza Hut though)

Talking about Chinese food overseas, it's certainly different. But different must not always mean bad.

At the beginning, the targeted clients in Europe is the lower Class. The Chinese restaurant and self catering alway mixed with other aisan cuisine. It really depends on the size of the local market and the the local chinese community.

i also agree that most chinese restaurant owned by Hongkongese or other south aisan chinese . the cooker or worker could be from mainland of china

do you agree ?:)

i also agree that most chinese restaurant owned by Hongkongese or other south aisan chinese . the cooker or worker could be from mainland of china

Not really the case. Quite a lot of them are actually owned by Malaysian Chinese in London. The newly opened one in London Chinatown, next to HSBC, is Malaysian-Chinese owned. :mrgreen:

K.