Chinese-Forums

I would like some help with Mainland Chinese Mandarin slang-please help me out.

Mavericker

...which, in turn, begs the question: How do you lift up a dragon?

It is easy, too! The answer lies in one of our traditional performances called “Dragon Dance 舞龙”. :mrgreen:

By the way, anyone here is with me in thinking that taking photos like the above is being very rude to the dragons ??

OK, let’s share some photos of Dragon Dance which can be taken as people’s worship to dragons!:mrgreen:

http://image.baidu.com/i?tn=baiduimage&ct=201326592&cl=2&lm=-1&pv=&word=%CE%E8%C1%FA&z=3

Thanks!

I know 凤 is not a dragon, but perhaps it is Chinese concept the female equivilant of a dragon?
No, 凤 is infact a male bird, but like you, many people like to associate "birds" with "girls"

Actually, you're both right. In Chinese mythology, the phoenix is paired with the dragon to symbolize femininity (as opposed to the dragon's masculinity). This is why many works of art show both mythical beasts. 凤 literally does mean "male phoenix". Here is what wiki has to say about it:

Fenghuang (Chinese: 鳳凰; pinyin: Fènghuáng; Japanese: 鳳凰 hō-ō; Korean: 봉황 bonghwang; Vietnamese: Phượng Hoàng) are mythological Chinese birds that reign over all other birds. The males are called Feng and the females Huang. In modern times, however, such a distinction of gender is often no longer made and the Feng and Huang are blurred into a single feminine entity so that the bird can be paired with the Chinese dragon, which has male connotations.

I went else to ask what is Mandarin slang for "delinquent girl", and these were the terms I was given:

Female hooligan泼妇 (po fu)

bad(immoral) girl 骚货(sao hou) 骚B (sao bi) 贱货(jian hou)贱B(jian bi)

sao1 B jian4

A female juvenile delinquent--女少年犯(i doubt its a slang) . i know they called 太妹 in HK movie.

A female punk -- 朋克妞

Does anyone here know any other terms? Please list as many terms as possible. Thank you.

Does anyone know any slang terms that mean "delinquent girl" or "tough girl"?

I know in Taiwan, such a girl is referred to as a "tei mei".

In Cantonese slang, I found out, delinquent girls are called, "fa leui" or "kwai leui"

Someone just told me "mah fhan ni-hai" is a Mandarin slang for delinquent girl.

Does anyone know any other Mandarin slangs for "Delinquent girl" or "tough girl"? Please let me know-I'd appreciate the help. Thank you. :D

Does anyone know any slang terms that mean "delinquent girl" or "tough girl"?I know in Taiwan, such a girl is referred to as a "tei mei".

There's another term, but not slangy to me: 不良少女.

Hope it helps!:)

Lepapillon said:

Once i saw "The Devil Wears Prada" and Meryl Streep was called dragon lady in the movie. You call say 女魔头 or 女强人,i think.

Hello lepapillion-thank you for responding.

Can you please post the pinyin for the two terms you posted? The Chinese text doesn't show up well on my computer. :D

Do you mean people like transgenders or those who got such inborn disfigurements (hermaphrodites)?

If you mean the former, you can use 不男不女 to describe them, though this saying hears like some kind of discrimination. And you can call them 阴阳人, or rather 人妖 which is in common use.

If you mean the latter, you can call them 两性人.