Chinese-Forums

Internet Blocks, the Great Firewall and VPNs

roddy

How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How are you getting round Internet blocks in China?

• I just give up and read the China Daily
    • Free web proxy like Anonymouse
    • Paid web proxy like Proxify
    • A browser plug in like Gladder
    • I installed a bit of software, like Tor
    • Something else which I will detail below . . .
    • Port forwarding over SSH to a remote proxy, like Imron
    • VPN, like Witopia

I personally think I'd steer away from anything deliberately (and visibly) targeting the China market for the very simple reason that it's more likely to end up being blocked. Funny that you can buy those to Taobao though . . .

I've heard you can't access most sites

That is an exaggeration. The vast majority of sites are available. A few sites are not. Unfortunately, some of these are highly popular sites in the west. Facebook and YouTube are the ones most often mentioned. Google is available via the Hong Kong servers. However, keyword filtering may prevent some controversial searches. For every day use, you probably won't notice any difference.

A VPN is a Virtual Private Network.To cut a long story short, these work by encrypting everything sent from your computer,so that the internet provider doesn't know what you are looking at. This is the same technology that banks etc use to send confidential information. There is a more detailed explanation here

VPNs are offered by various companies, some of which have already been mentioned on this very thread. Look back..

Frgate seems to have an issue with sites needing cookies

As I recall, this is a Firefox issue rather than FG. The Firefox forums should have something useful to fix the problem. (I gave up Firefox a long time ago.)

Thanks for the replies.

Answers:

- I have the same issue in IE.

- Unless there has been a new version in the last two weeks I have the latest Fx browser.

- Flickr only part works, any pictures (so all recent pictures) on farm 4 or 5 (ie http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4941418920_d811c7d51c_b_d.jpg) do not work.

- I will try the latest version.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I live a lot of our lives online, so we were really worried about the Great Firewall. But we subscribed to Astrill. It is really great and worth every penny. It is $10 per month is you just buy it month to month, but if you buy it for 6 months at a time, it is only like $6 a month. It is easy to use and download, works all the time, there are no limits, and there is live chat support if you do have issues. We love it and would reccommend it to everyone.

Hi,

Just a quick query. Obviously a few sites are blocked here in China - Facebook and Youtube, for example. I am aware that one could get around this by purchasing a vpn but are there any other free methods/ sites that any of you would recommend? There are obviously a number of possible methods but I'd like to check if any of you have had good experiences with one in particular.

Thank you kindly.

M

(This has been moved from a stand alone thread)

In my experience, the free sites get blocked often and are not reliable.

If you plan on doing a good amount of firewall vaulting, you should invest in a VPN. http://www.remotevpn.net offers a great service at a low cost. Only US$4/month if you pay for 3 months at a time.

I've been using their service for over 6 months now, and I'm very happy with them.