Chinese-Forums

Practicing Chinese with Chinese is impossible!!!

gao_bo_han

Another behavior that would be insulting to foreigners is to give them a fork in restaurant when everyone else is using kuaizi.

What...insulting?

You mean the waiters must hate all foreigners, so they insult them by giving folks to these guys? If that's what foreigners think, i believe what they need is a medicine on curing hallucination.

Hm... haven't gone out a lot here yet, but several guys I met in a club didn't speak a word of English, so sooner or later a girl friend of his would show up to translate.

From the day I got here, I spoke back in whatever language I was spoken to, and if I started the conversation I spoke Chinese. Bank clerks, school staff, librarians, waiters, housemates, classmates (who all can speak English) etc etc have all spoken Chinese to me, or Chinese with some English words thrown in here and there. I don't really understand what's going wrong with all those people that complain they don't get the chance to speak Chinese.

sunyata wrote:

In any case, foreigners who get mad because Chinese approach them with English are just self-consumed bigots. Even if English is not your native tongue, it's quite understandable why Chinese people might talk to you in English, if you are white...don't make such a big deal out of it Rolling Eyes

Send me a check for 50,000 renminbi. PM me for my address. Since you want me to give my time away for free, then you can pay for them.

geraldc wrote:

Quote:
My Chinese is like reverse Chinglish. I speak Englese or Chinese

with English grammar. English-speaking Chinese have no trouble understanding me, but non-English speaking Chinese sometimes do. I haven't spent much time on tones, reading, writing, or listening, either.

This is why you are treated differently, and people insist on speaking English with you.

geraldc is right. You've got to put in the effort.