Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

Whoah, that character looks messed up. Like "羅" got into a fight and lost.

Anyway, I'm gonna make a suggestion - when people post a new word/character in here, they also post a sample sentence and context.

I shall lead by example.

Word: 石女

Definition: woman suffering from absence or atresia of vagina

Sentence: "好像说如果碰到石女,阴茎都会被折断"

Context: my friend demonstrating the high quality of sex education in the Chinese education system.

好像说如果碰到石女,阴茎都会被折断

Here, does "碰到" have a sexual connotation (as in try to have sex with), or does it really mean "touch, bump into"?  If the latter, that's pretty scary.

Even some mainlanders don't know 罹. I only know it because in a nursing textbook from Taiwan they used the term 罹患 ("to contract [an illness]"). On the mainland, people would just say 患有 or 得病.

海虹 hǎihóng mussel, or in this case, the title of a comic book from the Cultural Revolution.

The main character in my book and her foreign boyfriend are in a second hand book store.

杂志里竟然还夹着一本文革时期的连环画《海虹》。我拿起给雷恩看,问他知道什么是红小兵吗?

“不就是封面上那个意气风发,大眼睛,扎辫子的小姑娘吗?”

他翻开连环画,饶有趣味地看着。

小红兵 was also a difficult one, I couldn't find an existing translation and in the end just went with 'Little Red Soldier' with a short explanation.

And incidentally, I had read 雷恩 as Ryan, only to find out from the author that she had intended him as Ray. So I changed it of course, but I still think that my reading made sense.

My random word of the day is 海派.

I came across this word while researching video clips to add to my YouTube channel. It's in the title of the Taiwanese romance drama for which Rainie Yang won her Golden Bell best leading actress in a television series.

Try to figure out the definition.

I looked it up in all the dictionaries available to me online and off and have only found the definition in one. It's an analogy, metaphor, or figure of speech. And no, it has nothing to do with opera or Lu Xun.

I'll post the answer in a few days if no one gets it. :)