Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

Is this not a simplification issue? The original characters were 鞦韆, which are both only used in this word, according to my dictionary. 秋千 sounded the same and uses easy characters, but has the downside of making no sense.

• Like 1

Yup, seems to be the case. A character-by-character translation of the 繁体字 version is "swing-swing", cf. 蝴蝶 "butterfly-butterfly" and other such words (of course, this simply serves to illustrate one of many problems with character-by-character translations).

Words of the day: 正常版 and 瘦身版 - regular fit and slim-fit, respectively. As you can probably guess, I went to buy shirts today.

Despite of the simplification issue, there're also cultural elements I guess.

According to 百度百科(Baidu-pedia) 汉武帝时宫中盛行荡秋千;唐人高无际《汉武帝后庭秋千赋》云:“秋千者,千秋也。汉武祈千秋之寿,故后宫多秋千之乐

http://baike.baidu.com/subview/45973/7483024.htm?fr=aladdin

It says: Swing was popular in the palace of Emperor Han Wu(汉武帝). 汉武帝 wished for a life span of 1000 years (千秋), so the swing was named as 秋千 inside the palace.

秋 can be used as an alternative of 'year'. e.g 人生短短几个秋啊 不醉不罢休 means 'Life is too short, why not get drunk' :P 

• Like 2

字字珠璣 zìzìzhūjī - "each word a gem (said in praise of someone's writing)".

My friend used this to describe my writing (in English, unfortunately, not Chinese, hope it's the opposite one day).

Wow, that's a pretty awesome compliment. And 玑 is a pretty awesome 字. Will prove very useful. 

No sarcasm there: try explaining the concept of Baroque in Chinese, especially with regard to irregularity being an aesthetic thing. Of course, whether the fact it's also used for the Swiss wristwatch brand Breguet (宝玑) will help or hinder this connection remains to be seen.

激将

definition: 

[peptelk;to goad sb. into action] 用反话去激人,促使人决心去做

Interesting that the Chinese definition is more complex than the English...

I guess an example would be something like, "If you're not going to finish that candy, I can finish it for you", which would cause a child to start stuffing the candy in their face as fast as they could...

杵 chu3

Usually means pestle or baton as a noun, or poke as verb.

But I saw used to describe a soldier standing at attention (in a semi-derisive, semi-friendly way):

别杵这儿  拿凳子坐。