Chinese-Forums

Red Cliff 赤壁

Outofin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

really looking forward to this one

awesome cast

was surprised to learn that Nakamura Shido and Koyuki will be in it as well

Nakamura was pretty cool in Fearless, although I always thought he had the looks for a perfect villian.

Maybe Koyuki will have a similar role as her character in The Last Samurai? Can't wait to hear her speak Mandarin ;-)

Maybe Koyuki will have a similar role as her character in The Last Samurai? Can't wait to hear her speak Mandarin

Did she speak mandarin during the shooting? Anyways it will probably be dubbed. If even Andy Lau was dubbed in the Warlords I don't think we will get to hear a Japanese actor's own voice (except, perhaps, Kaneshiro Takeshi who grew up speaking Mandarin).

I don't think we will get to hear a Japanese actor's own voice

Well, we got to hear Hiroyuki Sanada speaking Mandarin in The Promise

I remember reading them putting him into a Mandarin crash course just for that movie(I think Dong-Kun Jang did his own lines in Mandarin in there as well)

Both Ryo Ishibashi and Tôru Nakamura were also in quite a few movies where they spoke their own lines in Mandarin.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know when is Red Cliff coming out yet?

There's been many news about it, the casting are ever changing, and production has take a long time.

So news about Red Cliff?

I just know there is a new movie about 3 Kingdom coming out, casting Andy Lau, Maggie Q, .....etc. And there's another Jet Li involve movie, Mummy '4' ? I think he is a Terra Cotta Warrior. Both movie got less pre-news than Red Cliff, yet it seems almost done. But Red Cliff is still uncertain??

:oops:em....Thankx, need to get a new glasses prescription (haven't test my eyes for years)

....saw the trailer.....I think Lin Chi Ling 'looks' suitable for Xiao Qiao

Takeshi may look too young to be Zhu Ge Liang.

Or is this a Youngster version of Red Cliff movie??

Anyways, I am going to watch it, since Tim Yip* is involving in the character costume and style design.

Tim Yip, art design in Coaching Tiger Hidden Dragon, won Oscar that year.

Takeshi may look too young to be Zhu Ge Liang.

Actually not. Recently I have been watching 易中天品三国. It's very fun and enlightening when the professor compared folklores with historical truth. I highly recommend it.

Zhuge Liang was a young man in the battle of Chi Bi. As I just searched, he was 27. Now Takeshi is already 35. :)

• 1 month later...

It appears as if they may be rushing the production in order to get it out in time for the Olympics:

The Chinese government views the movie, which is partly backed by state-run China Film Group, as an important showcase of Chinese history and wants it released before the Beijing Olympics. The Olympics start on August 8.

Result:

Stuntman killed on set of John Woo movie

Zhuge Liang's fire boat trick is not to be played with lightly.

It appears as if they may be rushing the production in order to get it out in time for the Olympics:
The Chinese government views the movie' date=' which is partly backed by state-run China Film Group, as an important showcase of Chinese history and wants it released before the Beijing Olympics. The Olympics start on August 8.[/quote']

Result:

Stuntman killed on set of John Woo movie

Zhuge Liang's fire boat trick is not to be played with lightly.

Yes, I felt a bit confused when I read this news. Are they talking about the same movie? It seems strange that they would be shooting a big stunt scene only a month before the movie is scheduled to be released.

The following from monkeypeaches.com (a Chinese film site) helps to clarify things:

"… the scene … involved a small fire boat crashing [in]to an enemy battle ship. The shooting itself was running smoothly and then heavy wind suddenly made the fire uncontrollable and both vessels were consumed by flame in just a few seconds. When the fire was extinguished by local fire fighters, remain of a 23 year old stuntman was discovered among the debris. It is suspected that cheap flammable material used during the filming is a major factor of the fatal accident. Yesterday's filming was only a pick-up shoot and was handled by a Hong Kong stunt team rather than the team involved in the principal shooting. Part 1 of the film will be released on July 10 in Asia and these shots will be included in the second part, which will comes out in Asia in December." (emphasis added.)

Ironically, the sudden heavy wind, which made the fire uncontrollable, is déjà vu all over again from the actual history of this event.

With all the behind the scenes politics, involving the Chinese government and the Olympics, the changing of roles of key actors, and now this, I think a documentary about the making of this movie might be at least as interesting as the movie, itself.

(For some reason, the stuntman's name doesn't appear in news accounts that I've read so far. Strange.)

• 2 weeks later...

I hope every people have insurance. Especially for those who are hurt, they are not super stars, but they put effort in the film too. But who will report them in the news, they are unheard.

Isn't it easier, to use computer graphics? it looks quite real nowadays. I as audience, wouldn't complain much about it, since I know it's hard and expensive enough already to hire all those famous actors, arrange their casting dates, etc etc.