Chinese-Forums

Red Cliff 赤壁

Outofin

Isn't it easier, to use computer graphics? it looks quite real nowadays. I as audience, wouldn't complain much about it

I agree and actually prefer the computer generated graphic scenes. For example, the best parts in the Matrix were computer generated, and the best DVD in the series was the Animatrix. An enormous amount of money was spent on LOTR, but the best parts were computer generated. In the future, movies will be virtual reality events where no scenes are actually "shot" as we think of it today. It will all happen within the space of your imagination, where it belongs, and you might even be in the movie playing a role of your own choosing. Don't have time for such movies? No problem, just schedule them to run in your sleep ... and make sure to TiVo the commercials.

Ok, back to reality, got to go find a pencil sharpener...

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this film this morning. 1st screening of the day. The film is 140 minutes long.

Not sure if I like it. I don't think the story-telling is very good ...

But I do like Zhang Fengyi (Duan Xiaolou in "Farewell to My Concubine") as Cao Cao. He is very good. I also like Zhang Zhen playing Sun Quan (I am a fan since he debuted in 牯嶺街少年殺人事件 when he was like 14 years old), and You Yong playing Liu Bei. Kaneshiro is as usual BEAUTIFUL (very very) but his role doesn't require much serious acting IMHO. And Tony Leung is a bit disappointing.

And what is most disappointing is that we don't get to see the title battle AND after 140 minutes the film ends with "to be continued ...." :x :wall:wall

既生瑜 何生亮 :)

• 2 weeks later...

The 'to be continued' was expected so I wasn't that :wall when I saw it at the end of the film.. :D

I liked the movie though, Takeshi was beautiful (as Skylee mentioned), the formation of the war was nice and some parts of the movie was quite funny.

Zhang Zhi Lin was criticized badly for this film but I think she did ok. The Singapore version is 150min long. I think they need such a long movie because they need to narrate the story. Not everyone comes to the cinema with knowledge of the Red Cliff Battle. I don't. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it yesterday for the second time and got much more out of it. Not only is this film long, it is complex. I didn't have a good grasp of the history until I read up on it prior to going again yesterday.

I thought it was an amazing film on many levels and am glad I saw it here instead of waiting until I got home (USA) to see the abbreviated version.

When I went yesterday I was with a Chinese friend who explained that most Chinese know the history of those times pretty well, either from studying history in school or from having read the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms."

I look forward to seeing the second part, which I understand will be out in January of 2009.

As a postscript to those of you who may be wondering, this fine film does have English subtitles.

most Chinese know the history of those times pretty well, either from studying history in school or from having read the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms."

Actually I think few people really read ROTK itself, though people just know the stories. In old times, people learned the stories from 评书 story-tellers, now from TV. I can easily spell out nearly a hundred names from the three kingdoms, though I never read the book through.

Why I mention it is that, I think language learners don’t have to read classic novels unless you’re a serious avid reader. Kids know every feat of the Monkey King, though I suppose Journey to the West is the least read book among the four classics.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand what you mean. Certain important historical facts just get assimilated in the course of growing up here. As a foreigner, I now feel better about not always knowing who was who in the film. I seriously doubt if I will try to read ROTK since I can barely master my textbook.

Edited by abcdefg
typing mistake makes it unclear

I think the movie is okay. The problem is that it has no style and very much forgettable. The Warlords of last year is much better in this respect. Since when John Woo became a director with no style?

The river in this movie is ridiculously narrow, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was looking forward to this movie and Warlords very much. While Warlords disappointed me, I saw Red Cliff in the theatre on 5 August 2008 and loved it even though I was very tired after a long day. I am anxious to see part 2 in the theatre and then compare it to the US version that will be both parts combined and made much shorter.

While Warlords disappointed me, I saw Red Cliff in the theatre on 5 August 2008 and loved it even though I was very tired after a long day.

Personally I think Red Cliff, Part 1 at least, is disappointing. Warlords is a much better film IMO and I saw it several times (well I saw Red Cliff twice and still don't think very highly of it).

I hope Part 2 will be better.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw Chi Bi part 2 yesterday when it opened in Kunming. Don't want to spoil the fun for you by giving away any plot details. But if you enjoyed part 1, don't hesitate to invest some effort in seeing part 2. Like part 1, it's rather long. But the acting and directing are top notch and the viewing time flies by. It was daylight when the movie started (at about 5:30 p.m). and it was dark when I got out at about 8:00 p.m. John Woo really gives you you money's worth.

i saw Red Cliff 2 in a hk cinema last saturday. it is an ok film.

a friend of mine was very critical about zhao wei's role, being a female spy at that time etc. i am ok with this because it is just a story, but the film is nothing fascinating. it's just not something people rave about.

john woo used to make remarkably exciting films.