Chinese-Forums

Red Cliff 赤壁

Outofin

I saw 赤壁 and 非诚勿扰 in China recently. I thought it would be a good chance to practice my Chinese, but they both had English subtitles. Does anyone know why Chinese movies shown in China would have English subtitles?

Both movies were very enjoyable.

Cheaper to produce one print than to make several different ones. Also simplified distribution - you don't need to worry about which print get shipped to which cinema.

I really enjoyed Red Cliff II incidentally. Much better than the first one, which was decent enough on its own right. The second felt like a genuine blockbuster. Nice to see Meng Meng make an appearance too....

I don't know about 非诚勿扰, but 赤壁 is scheduled for release in several English speaking countries soon. Having English subtiltes already in place might make that easier. Also, John Woo, the director of Chi Bi, works mostly in the US these days.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this up. Amazon is releasing the International Version of the movie, in English subtitles. But here's my question. I'm really wanting to look for a version that has Chinese subtitles, I can read both trad and simp, but I want Chinese subtitles. Where can I buy this, online or do I have to buy it in China when I go there this July?

Meng Lelan,

Your best bet is probably to look for the original versions released in China as Part One and Part Two (上、下) about a year apart instead of the combined and greatly shortened "International Version" with its English subtitles. The original versions have Chinese subtitles of course and are available on Amazon.cn and Dangdang.com as well as at local retail shops here in China.

http://search.dangdang.com/search.php?key=%B3%E0%B1%DA&catalog=&SearchFromTop=1

http://www.amazon.cn/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&keywords=%E8%B5%A4%E5%A3%81&searchKind=keyword&Go.x=11&Go.y=10

I would offer to just buy them here in Kunming and send them to you, but the post office won't let me ship DVD's.

I don't know of an American internet-based source, although there probably is one. Maybe one of your stateside Chinese friends can locate them in a Chinese DVD store in Houston or Austin or Dallas.

Friends, what friends? I don't have any friends here.

I'm going to try the online sources you posted here, if I fail at that or the price isn't right, I'm going to PM you. Thanks for your post.