Chinese-Forums

The Grand First Episode Project. . .

roddy

I think I will even write a summary and 生词 page for the first episode, if that's how it's supposed to work here
By all means please do. People are encouraged to suggest shows, and even more encouraged to write word lists and summaries :clap FYI this will be first episode 67.

I'll make first episode 68 then :)

A recent show called 雾里看花 (translated into Chinglish as "Look at flower in fog"), featuring my favorite actor 李幼斌 (he keeps his charisma even without the military uniform). It's about all sorts of antiques (mainly porcelain) and art collectors and auctions and secret plots and love rectangles and... well, full of twists and turns and quite captivating. I already watched all those 30 episodes, so I'll have to rewatch episode one and draft some wordlist and synopsis. There is some specialized art terminology here and there (but not terribly overwhelming) and quite a portion of chengyus... I would classify it as upper-intermediate.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been thinking of reorganising the stickies a bit, since they are getting somewhat confusing, it's getting difficult to find important info, and I've been stealing people's posts to make space for new shows. I've been thinking along these lines:

- One sticky that's locked and contains the following:

--- Link to roddy's original thread which started it all

--- Must-see recommendations with 5-10 highly popular and highly rated shows. Like 空镜子, 潜伏 and the like. So people can jump right into it without having to read 100 threads first

--- Index into all the shows we've seen, like in the first two posts of this thread

--- Difficulty ranking, like post #6 of this thread

--- Basic instructions and information about youku, tudou, ku6, verycd, emule, and all that. I've written it, but it's hard to find at the moment

--- That's it.

- Merge the two First Episode threads

--- the second one basically continues where the first one left off

--- all the discussion about the project goes here

Basically, move all the indexing and must-have information into a separate sticky, and merge the two older threads into a discussion thread for recommendations and general project-related chatter.

Any thoughts?

I've merged the two First Episode threads, as was originally planned, and in preparation of a general TV series index sticky which should make things more accessible.

General discussion about covered TV shows, the project in general, as well as recommendations etc. should still go in here.

The "TNG" thread redirects here for the time being, until I go through all the threads linking to it.

It's hard to say, there isn't one easily found list of all the sho . . .oh wait, Renzhe's just typed his fingers off making one :mrgreen:

I'm halfway inclined to give some 武侠 a shot - I tend to not give it a fair watch as I feel like I won't enjoy it anyway, which is a bit daft. 潜伏 and 走向共和 I could happily go back and watch some of again. There's a lot on the list, particularly towards the end, that I haven't seen. 长恨歌 and 编辑部的故事 I'm technically 'watching', but have stalled due to not having time (or rather using it for other more nefarious purposes).

I have the same feeling about 武侠 - to the point where I'm not willing to revise the assumption of not being able to enjoy it. Similar assumptions apply to action/historical movies and series, but I might give 潜伏 a shot.

Of the ones you mentioned, 编辑部的故事 sounds best to me.