Chinese-Forums

Watch Olympics opening ceremony online?

Quest

Finally got home from the office and watching it live on German TV (BBC player won't let me stream it with a non-UK IP address and I can't go through dodgy proxys at work).

Anyway ... torch lighting was cool. As for the lovely fireworks on right now ... can those of you in Beijing see and hear them outside?

yes, definintely Zhang Yimou's best work for years....

hadn't been too excited by these olympics but after MSN'ing this week with some old students of mine I must have caught some of their enthusiasm ... and that was a cool opening, glad I didn't have too much on at work this afternoon...

I guess they have a mega-karaoke session in the birdsnest now? so I guess it's time for me to head home.

I haven't read through the thread yet, but I just wanted to comment on the German commentary, which was really wonderful.

First they informed us that all the volunteers were, in fact, forced labourers, then they interpreted the scarves which said "Portugal" (carried by the Portuguese team) as a form of protest against China (on top of a bunch of other political protests, notably athletes dancing around), and then they said that the music (drumming) symbolised China's military march against the free world, :roll:

Overall, though, I found it to be a very impressive opening ceremony, and I found the atmosphere among athletes to be very positive. It's nice to see the Olympic spirit is still alive.