Chinese-Forums

favourite Chinese musician

wix

• 3 months later...

My idol is Kelly Chen (陳慧琳) :D

She has everything I like from energyful beats in Dance songs to tear-demanding sad lovesongs. My favorite song of her is from 2003: Ni xin kou bu yi.

And I also think she is a wonderful beaty! I got an oversize poster of her in my room.

Althou I m in Europe I managed to get some CDs by her from my Chinese brother who I thank so much here. 欧套我爱你 ;)

k11.jpg

The best singer EVER is Cui Jian.

And I also like most other Chinese rock, old & new. When in Beijing, I heard a band called Yanse (Color), a girls' rockband, sounded cool. But I don't think they have any cds out.

Xue Cun is also funny, I like Dongbeiren... but Xingqisan di'er tang ke is even funnier.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer cantonese songs because most of them will last many years than chinese songs. I feel that chinese songs are more commercialized. My favourite musician is Beyond. Ever since Wong Ka Kui died, I stop buying albums produced by the three remaining band members. At one point of the time, I feel that the three remaining band members are really exhausted, and as expected, they separated and have their own indiv. albums, occasionally get together for a concert and so on and so forth.

well, I would say, my fav musicians are those from the older generation because i feel that they are the real musicians, whereas nowadays, musicians just need to be young and handsome or pretty, write a few songs and claim to be talented, ....

sigh!...

I love Cui Jian; for the student, it's also nice that his web site (www.cuijian.com) has English translations for every song on every album. I saw him in 2001 when he played Joe's Pub in New York, and I had tickets to see him here a few weeks ago, but he had to cancel the show due to visa problems.

I also like Ai Jing; I heard one of her songs on the "Rough Guide to the Music of China" CD and ebayed a few albums. I like the music (especially the "My 1997" album), but I can't find translations for her lyrics anywhere.

• 1 year later...

Richie Ren .. uh, Wong Lee Hom ?

I like it, cause you can actually understand what they're saying in the song.

... trying to get my hands on more of the traditional stuff my Dad use to blast with his 5.1 sound system years ago.

anyone know where I can find Jacky Zhang?

Roomate sent me his "Michael Learns to Rock, Take me to your Heart" English remix... but I want the original Chinese one :)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone agree with that comment that Canto pop is less commercialized than Mando pop?

That's not my impression. I find that the Mandarin stuff is more likely to have a nice hint of folkiness to it.

Maybe if I understood Cantonese I would feel differently.

Anyone agree with that comment that Canto pop is less commercialized than Mando pop?

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Canto pop is less commercialized? :wall:wall:wall

Anyways, my favorite Chinese singers:

Cuijian 崔健 (rock)

Luo Dayou 罗大佑(folk,rock, pop.Taiwan)

Zhang Chu 张楚 (rock)

Qiyu 齐豫 (folk, pop, Taiwan)

That's not my impression. I find that the Mandarin stuff is more likely to have a nice hint of folkiness to it.

Maybe if I understood Cantonese I would feel differently.

I'd say that most Cantonese music sounds pretty much the same (note: generalisation here!) and that there's more variety amongst Mandarin music.

That said, I still like some Cantopop ( :oops: ) such as Joey Yung (Rong Zu Er 容祖儿), Miriam Yeung (Yang Qian Hua) and Eason Chan (陈奕逊). They make for good karaoke, if nothing else :D .

I think Faye Wong has a lot of talent and an exceptional voice, but I don't like a lot of her songs :-? . Somehow, Gigi Leung (梁咏琪)manages to get a lot of nice songs (by that I mean nice, somewhat sappy Cantopop songs), but I think she should stick to acting... :mrgreen:

As for Mandarin music, I love F.I.R! Also Stefanie Sun (Sun Yan Zi 孙燕姿) - I love the fact that she's one of the few big Asian pop stars who doesn't need to strip to get people to buy her music :D - and David Tao (Tao Zhe) are good too. I think A-Mei (Zhang Hui Mei 张惠妹) has an amazing voice as well.

By the way, for anyone who likes Sammi Cheng (郑秀文), did you realise that her songs 眉飞色舞 and 独一无二 are just covers of the original Korean versions sung by Lee Jung Hyun (이정현 - 李贞贤)? Not that they are bad songs (I quite like them in fact) - but I don't think you could really call Sammi Cheng original or unique for singing them. :mrgreen:

I'm not familiar with Sammi Cheng, but she is not the first and not the only Mando- or Cantopop singer who sings covers. Chinese singers cover really everything. I know there is a Cantonese boyband version of The Ketchup Song, and I Believe (and other songs) has been covered god knows how many times.

I'm not familiar with Sammi Cheng, but she is not the first and not the only Mando- or Cantopop singer who sings covers. Chinese singers cover really everything. I know there is a Cantonese boyband version of The Ketchup Song, and I Believe (and other songs) has been covered god knows how many times.

Hehe... that's true. There are covers of Japanese songs, Korean songs, Cantonese songs, Mandarin songs, English songs... there just doesn't seem to be a lot of creativity in the Asian music industry. :mrgreen: