Chinese-Forums

What can you flush down the toilet? Tea leaves? Bones? Rats?

realmayo

I always flush the leaves down the toilet. Only problem here is that the toilet gets stained from the leaves that don't flush straight away.

This is why there is an "art to flushing stuff down the toilet". Take it from the master of flushing stuff down the toilet who has flushed many interesting things in his younger and stupider days.

You see, whenever you flush something greasy (or something that will stain the bowl) down the toilet, you always have to press the flush button so that the water is running. So with your left hand, you press the flush button, and ever-so-gently with your right hand you pour the contents into the toilet. Be quick, because you have to get all the contents out before the water stops gushing.

But master of flushing stuff down the toilet you ask..."What if I want to conserve water because tea leaves don't deserve their own flush?" Well that is easy my friend. You have to get all the tea leaves in the CENTER of the bowl. This takes a steady hand and practice, but I know you can do it!

My problem is that I want to save water, but often need the teapot/mug/cup again before the next time I flush, so the bowl gets stained from that too.

What interesting things did you flush? Any consequences? I flush everything that isn't plastic/paper/metal and do just fine here.

Hi Panda熊貓,

Edit: I was just joking with the message above about the "master of flushing stuff down the toilet". :) One thing I have flushed are live fishes. (Don't ask me why, I was young) But I didn't have any consequences after flushing them like mutated gold fish coming back from the sewer to exact revenge on me. The US has great sewage treatment plants that separate organics from non-organics. So I saw on the discovery channel that things like condoms and such are routinely separated from the organics.

Edited by ABCinChina

No paper, eh?

I flush toilet paper, but I don't intentionally flush other types of paper down the toilet like coated flyers, note paper, etc. After I vacuum, I flush the contents of the canister, and those sometimes have small bits of paper in them.

I have a friend. (This may come as a surprise.)

He is back in the UK now, but while in China he had a sudden and urgent need to evacuate and went into the evacuation facilities in the local department store.

In his hurry, he somehow managed to drop his cell phone into the Chinese style hole in the floor. As he desperately tried to catch it before it hit whatever hell lies below, he lost his balance and fell over. As he did so, his camera slipped from his pocket and went to keep the phone company.

So, if you can flush digital equipment, I don't think a bit of paper is going to hurt.

• Like 1

So you're saying that both his camera and phone dropped into one of those toilets where you have to squat? Or was this a pit toilet of some sort? There was no way he could grab them? (even if having to touch feces and piss?)

yeah, but there are 2 types of squat toilets...actually 3 that I have seen. Liuzhou describes squat #2, which I have detailed below:

type -1 has (some) water waiting for you when you arrive and swooshes down when you flush~~very similar to a western toilet. Retrieval of lost articles is possible if you don't flush.

Type ~2 does indeed lead directly into a pit or a deep vertical pipe...water kinda trickles down it to pursuade whatever may not have been properly targeted, downward into the hole. Very similar to an out house squat which you need to pour some water down the chute. This seems to be where the cell phone, camera, (and I'll add) sunglasses losing risk is the highest. If they fell directly into the pit, there is no hope!

Type 3~ the channel squat. one channel across the whole lavatory, which occasionally flushes so you can see what the stall upstream is sending down. Even if you can save something, you really really don't want to...

"Is flushing used tea leaves down the toilet appropriate?"

I live in an older six-story apartment building in Kunming. Am careful not to throw toilet tissue in the matong, but when I reload my chabei I do flush the dregs. My Chinese friends here do the same.

This is slightly off topic, but probably not enough to warrant a new thread. Made an unpleasant discovery this week about the kitchen plumbing: It’s intimately connected with that of my upstairs and downstairs neighbors. Was out of town a few days and returned to three inches of standing water in all my rooms. It had a foul smell and a greenish oily sheen.

Landlord called a plumber who used a long flexible “snake” to unclog the unsealed drain in my kitchen floor. Apparently some garbage made it down the pipe from upstairs as far as my level before getting hung up and causing a minor flood. All cleaned up now, but not without some mafan and expense.

This happened despite my having hung a fine new red and gold fuzi upside down on my door for guonian (CNY.)

• 10 months later...

All I know is that you should be careful that whatever stuff you throw in your toilet is something that can slide easily down the pipes, especially L-shaped pipes. Things like human hair tend to get stuck in the L pipes and can accumulate there, and may cause clog-ups in the future.

You bunch of pampered urbanites :mrgreen:. Get out into the Chinese countryside where the things you flush end up in a large pit at the back of the house. It really makes you take note of what goes down since all and sundry will be able to view the pit’s contents (should they so desire).

Well we don't live in countryside. And plumbers rates are extremely high so we have to be careful about what we flush down the toilet. Amazing this thread got revived. It seems like in these forums the two hot topics are sex and toilets.