Chinese-Forums

Studying Chinese in Texas

abcdefg

• 2 weeks later...

libertango,

Definitely go check out Richardson. The little bookstore there will usually have some good stuff. I bought lots of movies there. If I remember right the Asian grocery store there was OK, but the one in Plano is much better.

Plano has got a lot of Chinese life going on there. I remember driving through Plano on the way to Allen and there were several Chinese shopping centers there, I think you would be able to find some of what you want there - videos, DVDs, not sure about books though.

...but I hope to go over to Richardson sometime to check out the bookstores or whatever.

Stop for lunch at First Chinese BBQ, 111 South Greenville Avenue, Richardson 75081 (phone 972-680-8216.) Their roast duck and pork plate never disappoints. It's a couple blocks off I-75, West Main exit.

• 1 month later...

Da jia hao,

I live near Plano, Dallas metroplex. I am quite familiar with the "Chinatown" in Richardson and also Asia World on Legacy.

I have been studying at Sacred Heart Chinese School, but next semester I am taking a break. Anyone can recommend how I can do a self-study? I want to concentrate more on listening, speaking, reading, and then writing (emphasis in that order).

Good to "meet" you all :-)

Anyone can recommend how I can do a self-study? I want to concentrate more on listening, speaking, reading, and then writing (emphasis in that order).

Welcome Stephani,

Have a look at the "Learning Chinese" secion under "Forums." Quite a few good discussions under "Speaking and Listening Skills" and "Reading and Writing Skills." After you have found some methods that you think might be suitable to your requirements, post again with more specific questions and we will all be glad to offer advice and help.

What is your current level?

I've not heard of Sacred Heart Chinese School. I do know there are at least two or three Chinese Schools in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. If you are taking a break from Chinese studies and want to maintain your listening, you can listen to radio and tv shows from China through the internet. Just browse through these forums and you can find what you want.

• 4 weeks later...
What is your current level?

I am very much a beginner. I have studied for about 2 years, but once a week for 2 hours, while working full-time and I have a 6-year-old son and husband. So not intensive at all.

I would love to take my son to China for a couple of months, and that way we both will be fully immersed. I need to save quite a bit for it though :-)

I've not heard of Sacred Heart Chinese School.

Sacred Heart Chinese School is part of Mission of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church. It is on FM 544 and Los Rios in east Plano. chinese - catholic . org is their website.

Does anyone know of good Chinese schools for adults in the Plano area?

Duo xie!

Does anyone know of good Chinese schools for adults in the Plano area?

I don't know of one personally, but last year I looked around a bit and thought about putting an ad for a tutor in the Dallas Chinese News. For several reasons, including laziness, I never followed through.

Their address is 200 S Interurban St. Richardson, Texas 75081 and their phone number is (972) 680-9578 in case you want to try that route.

I also know that UT Dallas has a Confucius Institute, but don't know the extent of their course offerings, if any. http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2009/01/14-004.php

Edited by abcdefg

Even most Chinese Schools for children have adult classes. Try contacting the Chinese Schools in the Plano area and ask. Also the Plano public school district has Chinese classes at the high school level, you can contact those teachers and ask if they know of any local resources available to you.

• 4 weeks later...

First you have to have a bachelor's degree in any field.

Second you have to pass the Written Proficiency Test in Chinese (it is a written test, all handwriting, no computer no dictionaries no cheating!!!).

and the Oral Proficiency Test which is conducted by telephone.

You have to pay the exam fees yourself.

I think you have to take the Texas pedagogy exam too but I am not sure.

Google SBEC and Texas and you can ask them this question. SBEC is State Board of Educator Credentials. You get your Texas teaching certificate from SBEC when you are all done with the exams.

Also I see you've joined the Texas branch of the Chinese Langauge Teachers Association, I am also a member. Maybe I'll see you at some meeting sometime but I am very busy on weekends with 武术 in Houston.

• 1 month later...

According to the comments (and ignore the jingoistic China-bashing ones), some say it reaches until the 610 (presumably the Southeastern corner), but apparently only if the weather is fine, other than that it usually starts fading once you're past Santa Fe on the I-45 (when driving towards Houston from Galveston)...

Also, if it did reach until NASA, technically that would be Houston, so they're right, they're serving the Houston market :wink: (and quite a lot of Chinese-American engineers and physicists over at NASA)