Chinese-Forums

Studying Chinese in Texas

abcdefg

I think I'll contact Rice University and ask what's going on. Rice does have a good Chinese program and I actually know the Chinese professor there. I would imagine the closest thing they would have is a grad program in foreign language pedagogy? I don't know. Then I contacted Dr. Wen of University of Houston who has got going the undergrad major in Chinese Studies since two years ago. Last year she said she wants to start a master's program in Chinese pedagogy at UH, but I'm not seeing anything, yet, .....if I do go for a grad program in Chinese pedagogy it would like be at University of Houston or Rice, if they ever get around to that, but with the economy like this......

Who do you know at Rice, because there's a couple of instructors, and one of them left for U of H, I believe.

The good news is that Rice got a donation to the tune of 25 million to create a Asian research center, but the bad news (from the p.o.v. of forum members!) is that most of it will probably not be used towards language instruction, but towards interdisciplinary research mostly in social studies. (I'm not completely familiar with the details, so if you're really interested in this I suggest you directly contact the people in charge.)

Glad news....University of Houston just wrote me back...yes, they now have a master's program in World Cultures and Languages and you can choose Chinese as one of the options within the program:

http://www.class.uh.edu/mcl/wclprogram/graduate.asp#chinese

Edited by Meng Lelan

I should find out by the end of the month since everyone in Japan starts work on the same day, April 1st. I've actually been working at this company for the past four months so they know exactly who I am. I am a "part time" employee though.
The fact that I know Chinese might be the key to me securing the job. Hopefully, I'm about to be all the more grateful I started studying Chinese in the first place.

@knadolny -- Did you get the job? Hope so.

Ah, but you forget that Austin is the beloved capital of Texas, and occupies a special place in Texan hearts everywhere....so of course this thread is bound to have Austinites - present, former, and future. Sending you a PM with how to find an Austinite tutor.

Breaking news: a Chinese diplomat in Houston was arrested and beaten by HPD... (I think I met the diplomat in question at a reception once, though I can't find his name card right now)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/us/01consul.html

http://news.rti.org.tw/index_newsContent.aspx?nid=241098&id=3&id2=2

They're discussing that in the Houston City Data forums right now. A news article posted there claims the diplomat cursed at the cops, in what language it didn't say. They are looking at the police videos and tapes now to see what actually happened.

The diplomat's name is Yu Boren according to the article.

As a Texan I can say dealing with Texan cops can be very risky if you don't show respect to them - polite language, cooperate with them, etc. If you don't then you are in BIG trouble. I haven't viewed the videos and tapes so I am NOT going to speculate on anything, but if Yu Boren did not show respect to the Houston cops (cursing, arguing, etc) then that's going to be a problem in how the police will decide how much respect to show him.

Edited by Meng Lelan

So anybody in Texas ever been to the ”中央饭店“ in Houston China town?The "油条“ there is exactly like what I had back when I was in China. Kinda a nice way for people who haven't never been to China to taste what average Chinese have for breakfast.

come on. you should take a ride around houston Chinatown. It's a fun experience even for us Chinese. the whole ”中央饭店“ thing has become kinda a running joke for us (it's smaller and more ragtag than some of the restaurants I remembered back in the 80s, yet it has the nerve to call itself "中央饭店”, though I'd say its “油条” and "豆腐脑“ are the best I have since I came to the US, except for what I had in flushing, New York, of course.). Also ”黄金超市" and "xxx警察局" look quite anachronistic in Houston.

中央饭店

What's the story behind this? I'm missing something.

About the "incident", Meng Lelan's analysis was in-line with my first thought. Police all over don't like to be treated without respect, some more than others *cough* Texas *cough*. With no evidence to support this, I expect Yu Boren, knowing that he was on Chinese soil, decided to act big and talk back to the police. Which, while I admit is his right as the police should not be there and had no jurisdiction there, was not the right decision.

There is no story. It's sort of a contrast thing. Kinda like a two story building out in the fly-over country calling itself "World Trade Center" or a 200 lb homely looking girl comparing herself to Megan Fox. The first time I went there, me and my friend all laughed when we saw the name "中央饭店“, sorta like seeing a raggedy ann out of a whole set of barbie dolls.

I interupt this thread to make an announcement. The Chinese Language Teachers Association of Texas may have me take over editorship of their newsletter starting this summer. Meaning I need to collect any news and information about Chinese teaching and learning activities throughout Texas. Hopefully produce a July or August edition. If you are a Chinese student or teacher anywhere in Texas and want to include any newsworthy items then send me a private message. 谢谢。

@knadolny -- Did you get the job? Hope so.

@abcdefg -- I did get the job!! And thank you for the nice message.

The interview was nerve racking. I didn't realize how much stress I was putting myself under. I'm not sure how it happened, but I managed to hold a conversation in Japanese for 30 minutes with the company execs and convinced them I am on my way to learning the language. (my Japanese skills seemed to have reverted to their previous level since...pressure makes you perform I suppose).

Life since has gotten much better since pay, training, and expectations change significantly when you go from "アルバイト" (part time worker) to "正社員" (salaryman?). I still do that same amount of work, but it's that change in status is so important.