Chinese-Forums

Facebook blocked in China

Xiao Kui

I'm assuming - hoping, to be honest - that things will loosen up after they've had their Communist party (no pun intended)

Nice pun. :mrgreen:

They might relax things in mid-October, but then again, they've institutionalized many of the Olympics security related procedures, so I'm not so hopeful.

If you like living in China but don't want to put up with many of the annoyances, you can always consider moving to HK, where Facebook and other sites work like a charm. :wink:

Blue Dam sounds pretty scary. Gato pretty much summed it up. What does everyone think?

The workaround Gato posted in the Witopia review thread worked like a charm (thank you), though I'm not so knowledgeable about proxy addresses, etc, so I'm not quite sure where to find other proxies. The one shown in the thread worked fine though it seems to have been blocked now.

Take a look at Rebecca MacKinnon's recent article (if you can)

It's also here, unblocked.

While they may reopen certain sites, there is no way they are going to reopen Freegate and/or Tor etc. just so we can get to where they don't want us to get to.

The workaround Gato posted in the Witopia review thread worked like a charm (thank you), though I'm not so knowledgeable about proxy addresses, etc, so I'm not quite sure where to find other proxies. The one shown in the thread worked fine though it seems to have been blocked now.

I found the proxies using LotusProxy, which is able to download a list of proxies from a server somewhere (not sure exactly how or where) and test them one by one. I'll post some more proxies later tonight if LotusProxy is still working.

EDIT: The FG + proxy method doesn't seem to work, any more.

The latest version of FG version 6.89ub5 (beta 5) is just out, released on Sept. 30, 2009.

http://rapidshare.com/files/286957450/fg689ub5.exe

Give it a shot. It's working for me. Just be patient while it tries to connect. China doesn't spend billions of dollars on the Golden Shield Project for nothing....

Edited by gato