Chinese-Forums

Baby bird 串

valikor

I was unfortunate enough to go to the badaling Great Wall today and saw some fascinating looking 肉串. It appeared to be 4 bird fetuses on a stick. Though it looked absolutely foul, I decided to get one, in the spirit of always trying the most radically different foods.

Aside from the horrible visual, and the crunching of bones (they told me I could eat EVERYTHING), the taste was actually pretty good.

I'm trying to figure out what I actually ate, though. One person I talked to said that it was probably dove or pidgeon... can anyone give any insight? When I asked the salesperson, they said something I didn't understand. When I asked again, they simply said 小鸟

I will post a picture if necessary.. though I'd need to find one.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

David

How do you know they were fetuses? If so, well, how do you know it wasn't chicken?

In a certain part of Shanghai, there is a town where they serve sparrow 串 and also quail 串. Perhaps it could have been either of those.

I have no way to confirm that they were fetuses... it was perhaps more accurate when I described it as "baby bird" They were, however, extremely small -_-

Could have been chicken, but I think they would have told me that when I asked, and I would have understood...

But thanks for the info about sparrow and quail.

David

Why is there no way? They eat them in other countries in Asia (see here).
What we're talking about here are roasted/ fried birds and what you've shown us are boiled eggs, and that's a huge difference. Edited by HashiriKata

Some of the confusion in this thread would have been avoided had I not poorly (probably inaccurately) described it as "bird fetuses".

The confused laowai in this case was actually me. Anyways, this was an educational experience. Perhaps some day, I can eat the pretty yellow bird in skylee's photo -_-

I can believe that there are non-eggular bird foetuses. Not easily, but I have faith.

I can believe that anything on a 串 is possible. No faith required.

But an unconfused laowai?

Don't be ridiculous!