Chinese-Forums

Baby bird 串

valikor

The confused laowai in this case was actually me.
It's all right to be a confused laowai, and I am no less a confused laowai than anyone else. Problems are when some know-not persons try to talk as if they know, and this often starts off the confusion, as you can see here in this thread.

• 3 months later...

I had quail chuanrs in Beijing (near Yonghegong/Andingmen). They were a lot bigger than those in the photograph. As far as I remember, they required two skewers to keep steady.

Chicken wings are a lot better; the quail was so dry it was unbelievable.

There's really no way of knowing what sort of bird they are: according to an investigation published in The Beijing News last week, tens of thousands of newly-hatched chicks were sold off to unlicensed processors who stripped them and resold them as sparrows. Apparently the practice of substituting chicks for sparrows is an "open secret" among chuanr sellers.

• 9 months later...

that must be Passer montanus, it is not possiable to be dove or pidgeon (they are large, and as u can see to make such 肉串 needs a lot of this bird and dove or pidgeon just can't make so many babies). when i was little i did see a lot of these 肉串 in Beijing. :rolleyes: