Chinese-Forums

Tsinghua University

Jenmia

Just a quick shout-out to anyone who got accepted into the MID Program in Tsinghua 2010!

I hope there's people doing this course with me, even if it does seem to have a smaller cohort than other programs/univeristies.

I'm really excited to meet pp and talk re the details - like accommodation, visas (I'm from Sydney, Australia) and so far the visa applications are confusing the life out of me..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jenmia -- I'll be doing the MID Program in the fall, too, so there are at least two of us here! And I know of a third one who isn't on this forum (yet), so we're not (completely) alone.

What did you find about visa applications that's so confusing? I have to say I haven't looked into any of that yet, I thought I'd wait to get the acceptance letter where we'll supposedly get more details about the process. Concerning accomodations, though, I'm just as lost as you are. I found a good description of the three types of dorm rooms somewhere on this forum, but I have no clue how we're gonna register for one. I'm guessing an online system will open up at some point, but so far I've found no information about it.

As for the program itself, all I know is the general structure found on the website, that the workload is about 5/6 courses each semester, and that the last semester is dedicated to writing the thesis (and possibly one or two months for the internship) (per Ms Zhang). I'd love to get more details, though, if anyone has any.

hey guys, i'll be in the MID program as well. I've got some friends in the program right now, they said that the accommodation on campus sucks so everyone moves off campus within the first month. i live near the school right now and pay 2300RMB/month for a decent apartment, though Ive paid more for worse. Take a look on the beijinger.com for apartments in 'huaqingjiayuan' under the wudaokou heading, they usually start at 3kRMB but theyre nice and convenient.

As for visas, everything government related is needlessly complicated so get used to that, but im sure the acceptance package will have some info regarding it. Ive seen the visa rules change overnight without warning (at least for Z employment ones) so you never really know what to expect, but it always works out.

I think the first few weeks of the program will be registration and orientation, youll meet some faculty and start thinking about what direction you want to go in. Then everyone will get smashed at Propaganda or La Bamba and the semester officially begins!

Cheers,

Mike

check out this thread for more info: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/25155-tsinghua-university-fallautumn-2010/page__st__20

Hey guys, I will join MID program next Fall so I guess that we will see each other. I am really stressed about the visa and accommodation procedure. Also I am not sure if it is better wether to live on campus or off campus. I guess thqt once there it is going to be much easier than from here.

@apf and Mike: nice to meet more MID-ers, guys.

So do your friends like the program, Mike? And for curiosity's sake, do you know how many hours of class they have each day/week on average?

IMO there's no need to plan living off campus just yet -- if it's really as bad as Mike says (which I've seen several people say...), it should be easy to find something off-campus once there.

Yeh I'm planning to live on-campus, but I think I would need my creature comforts, and I want a kitchen becasue I hate the idea of eating out ALL the time, and if it's as bad as some people says it, I'm moving out in a flash.

I have a friend who has a friend in Beijing renting out a 2-bedroom apartment near the university district. I do not know the condition yet but if so is anyone interested in sharing with me?

So yay 4 people I know of is doing this course. Where are you all from? I'm from Sydney, Australia.

Hi there again,

I will post you a comment from a exstudent of MID program,

"It is far more convenient to live on campus then off campus. Because Tsinghua University is so large (four square Km) and Beijing is such a large city I would recommend that you live either on campus or in accommodation just off campus in or around the Wudaokou area. I definitely would advise against living in the city center as Beijing is so vast that you will spend at least two or three very tiring hours a day commuting to and from class.

However living on campus does have is disadvantages such as hot water only at certain hours at the day and a dorm staff that does not allow you to bring guests home unless they leave by 5pm and that monitor your every move. So I think the best bet would be to live some where off campus in the surrounding area once you have arrived."

Then I think it is more convenient to rent an appartment somewhere near tsinghua.Jenmia, I coud be interested if the conditions are fair. I am from Madrid, Spain ,thought i am now living in London and I will move to HK this summer till the beginning of MID program.

It is nice to see that there are MIDers around this forum.

Ps; If you guys want to add me in facebook just search for alvaro_pf@hotmail.com on facebook.

Best regards

Thanks for the quote, apf.

I think I'll stay in the dorms for one semester (but possibly less if the conditions are really bad), at least to have time enough to get to know people and the city. Then I'll just see, but I agree, Jenmia, I know I won't stand living without a kitchen and hot water all the time for long. If/when I move off-campus, though, I'm definitely planning to get one or two roommates, and I'd rather they be students, too. But there's ample time to decide all of this, IMO, and if/when I move out, I'll want to take time enough to find a good place.

Oh, and I'm French -- and a girl, too, since it's not so obvious from our names. What about you guys?

By the way, did any of you get a scholarship (which kind?), or are still waiting for the result?

@ apf - I added u on facebook! hopefully we can help each other out re Beijing resettlement. I lived in China when I was little but never in Beijing, so it's a completely new experience for me (so I'm researching like crazy now re the living conditions). I got a culture shock last time I was in China 4 years ago, so hopefully 2 years won't signify the beginning of a nervous breakdown...

Honestly I really like the AB Double Apartment for the sole purpose it has a freakin' KITCHEN!!! Maybe I'm showing my gender here but this means I can cook my own meals. Has anyone heard any feedback re them? Are they worth it?

@ Chai - LOL good to see you're v keen. I was like that when I found out forums like this. God send.

Yeh MID pp add me on facebook jenny_sweetorture@msn.com. Please let me know you're MIDers since I don't acccept randoms... (you can never be too careful!!!) :D

@ apf - I added u on facebook! hopefully we can help each other out re Beijing resettlement. I lived in China when I was little but never in Beijing, so it's a completely new experience for me (so I'm researching like crazy now re the living conditions). I got a culture shock last time I was in China 4 years ago, so hopefully 2 years won't signify the beginning of a nervous breakdown...

Honestly I really like the AB Double Apartment for the sole purpose it has a freakin' KITCHEN!!! Maybe I'm showing my gender here but this means I can cook my own meals. Has anyone heard any feedback re them? Are they worth it?

@ Chai - LOL good to see you're v keen. I was like that when I found out forums like this. God send.

Yeh MID pp add me on facebook jenny_sweetorture@msn.com. Please let me know you're MIDers since I don't acccept randoms... (you can never be too careful!!!) :D

Haha, I totally get you ont he kitchen thing, especially since I'm a vegetarian and I'm seriously worried I won't be able to find anything I can eat outside (except maybe white rice, yay!)

@Jenmia: from what I read/heard, AB rooms only have a "kitchen" in the strictest sense. You get one sink and some cupboards, but no fridge/microwave/kitchen ustensils/anything to cook...

Edit: added you, guys!

@ MGMT - I applied for the CSC Scholarship, apparently I'm the only person NOT to put in an ap for a language course (read Masters) from my uni, as of today haven't heard back from the Chinese embassy. Honestly they're quite responsive, but word is that my contact person hasn't heard ANYTHING back from the Big Daddy (read the Chinese Govt). I read in another forum that they're pushing back the notification dates until June/July this year... whereas the previous years' results were out in May.

Je suis heureux que vous parlez francais - mon concerne a Beijing qu'il y a pas les opportunities pour parler en francais... et alors la possibilite que mon francais a pire a cause de ca. Vous parlez bien chinois?

Jenmia, tu parles français?! Tu as appris à l'école? Ne t'en fais pas, on pourra parler ensemble si tu veux t'entrainer. :) And unfortunately, I don't speak one word of Chinese. You?

Really, you're the only one to apply for a Master? Weird. That may work to your advantage, though. And we're in the same boat, I guess. I applied to all Tsinghua scholarships, but they told me at the end of April that they had "nominated" me for a CGS -- and since they've told me the university has no contact with BD (heh, I like that!), they won't be able to tell me if/when I get it. So considering I didn't apply through the embassy, I have absolutely no clue who will be able to tell me anything. Guess we should just be patient, then.

hey guys! I really want to add u guys on facebook but currently im at kunming (China)for studyin chinese reason and

i will move to BLCU on 15 july and stay there untill mid start so i can get to know the city and the people and for some reason china doesnt allow people to surf on facebook T_T!!

if it possibly i want to add u guys on msn

here is my e-mail warunchai_nn@hotmail.com !!

best regard

@ MGMT - I can't live without a microwave!!! (shock! horror!) l'll buy everything myself if needs be - this includes a fridge. Seriously, this is how we'll be living for 2 years, I think I'll have a kitchen and some utensils, thank you v much. ;)

Did you apply for a scholarship? My advice is to wait it out. Sooner or later the officials will tell us, it's like a waiting game.

Oui je l'ai appris a l'ecole et a l'universite, et je veux continue avec cette langue - et oui je veux vraiment parler ensemble si c'est possible!!

Unfortunately when I applied for the CSC Scholarship I did not stipulate Tsinghua bc I was looking into Peking for Masters, then I saw the MID program and applied. Now I do not know if they would allocate the scholarship to me, so hopefully the scholarship will be transferable...

I speak better Chinese than my French, but can write better in French (I can analyse Sartre but cannot book a hotel in French LOL)- the result of forced essay-writing...

• 1 month later...

Hey! I have also been accepted into the MID program starting this Fall.

I was very happy to find this forum and am looking forward to meeting you all.

I'm currently in Beijing. If anyone else is here I would love to meet up.

Has anyone received the package of information yet?

I spoke to Ms. Zhang Chen this week. She said we should receive visa information by mid July.

She also informed me that registration would take place sometime in the end of August and classes would begin in mid September.

Congrats, ithzel, and thanks for the info! I actually thoguht the visa information would be included in the admission package, so would that mean we won't get it before mid-July? I really hope not, June 30th seems late enough already. And registration date two weeks (at least) before classes start? That seems a bit early, especially considering we'll receive the packages so late!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys!

I've been also admitted to this year's MID program. It's nice that I found a forum like this!

Has any of you received the admission package yet? I haven't, and it really is getting me nervous since I cannot plan anything. I've seen that Chinese language applicants are already getting theirs, but wasn't sure if those of us aiming for a degree will get the packages a bit later...

Looking forward to meeting you guys soon!