Chinese-Forums

Best Faye Wong Song Of The Day

roddy

Someone said the best place to find subtitled Faye Wong DVDs would be Shanghai. So I'm going to skip the Expo and look. Where in Shanghai, I don't know. I haven't been there in 20 years.

Start a new topic about music shopping in Shanghai if you want, letting people know where you'll be staying, etc. But it's not like this is alternative music, a decent sized supermarket will probably do.

I might do that, but I didn't understand why the friend said Shanghai was better for looking up Faye Wong DVDs, I thought he was trying to say that she might be more popular in Shanghai than other cities.

I've just been reading that Faye Wong's original name was 夏琳, the same as the female lead in the TV series 奋斗. Is this coincidence, or was some kind of cultural reference intended by the makers of the TV series?

Thanks for adding another song, I'll go find the music video with larger captions that I can see better. In the meantime I really liked 乘客 so much that I wrote my feelings about it in a short entry in my blog. Maybe something about 给自己的情书 a while later. This is a great thread.

Wow thanks. What are those Latin letters over some of the song lyrics supposed to mean? Actually I like being able to read the song lyrics below the singer in the music videos. It adds more meaning I think. A lot of times the karaoke versions have bigger characters. Sometimes there's a bouncing dot showing what's being sung at that point or the character gets shaded in. Amazing what technology can do these days.

I can't believe none of you have mentioned 开到茶靡 yet - I'm starting to think you're not trying.

Good thing she only recorded about forty songs, otherwise this could take forever.

Have been waiting for someone to bring it up, finally.

Catchy tunes, meaningful lyrics (well, 林夕 never stops amazing us), all these blend so well with her voice, and I can surely rate it as one of my favourite.

The same composer also wrote 再見螢火蟲 (in the same album as 给自己的情书) and 迷路 (released in 1995) for her as well, and not surprisingly, with lyrics by 林夕.

• 2 weeks later...

As a fan who followed her for so many years, I think 王菲's best years were between 1994 and 1999. My favorite song is 暗涌, only a personal choice. Album-wise, nothing can beat 天空.

Faye, she's always happy for small things and doesn't ask for more, even when she deserves much more.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have been an extremely huge fan of 王非 ever sine she did "Eyes On Me" on the FFVIII OST :)

My all time favorite song by her is 红豆, it's the first chinese song I learned the lyrics to completely so I could sing it at KTV.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

You should be fine. Post 1995, most of her music is in Mandarin, although the 2001 album 王菲 had a Cantonese bonus disc, which is actually better than the album in my opinion.

I love Faye Wong's music. First time I heard it was on my first flight to Beijing and I was hooked immediately. It was only later that I found out she was a Cocteau Twins fan and had covered some of their tracks (I would recommend the following, if you like that sort of thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGzcccl9U4E). She has also sang a great cover of a song by The Sundays (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnvBV8lxsOo).