Chinese-Forums

interracial marriage

CBC

Michelle Yeoh was no doll in Tomorrow Never Dies. She outclassed Pierce Brosnan, held her own, and surpassed him in terms of charisma. Undoubtedly she was the true star of the film.

lucy liu, Michell Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi.. -they have to be martial art experts to win the Hollywood.

lucy liu, Michell Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi.. -they have to be martial art experts to win the Hollywood

Sorry but none of them are martial arts experts :lol:

Chinese women appear in Hollywood only as sexy asian dolls.

Which movies? If you are unable to come up with specifics, then I assume that that statement was one made from impulse and overgeneralizing tendencies.

CBC, you came up with a good topic about interracial marriages. I think this has been discussed in a previous thread, about more instances of Asian female-White male couples than White female-Asian male couples.

But as long as you back up what you say, I have no problem seeing from your point of view.

I agree with what Skylee said about Chinese/Asian men also preferring Chinese/Asian women to Western women. There is some truth to that because Western women are seen as much more headstrong, aggressive, and have more of an attitude problem than their Chinese or Asian counterparts, who more resemble the feminine lady. This does not mean Chinese/Asian women are weak. Asian women can be feminine and strong at the same time. These are the typical characteristics of what a man looks for in a woman.

I date Chinese guys, but it is a headache finding one who can accept a Western woman and not get bent out of shape when I want to do some decision making, and don't always follow them blindly. I used to get into super fights with my ex over the issue. The guy I am with now doesn't care quite as much, as he has had a bit more exposure to foreigners and knows that women de sixiang bu yiyang. He's also not exactly your typical Chinese guy himself.

Lots of Western women here don't go for Chinese guys. Language barriers and cultural barriers make it harder. Many of the western guys here can ignore certain differences in their Chinese partner. They're not necesarrily looking for a deep relationship, they just want to have some fun with a pretty girl. The relationships for the most part deteriorate after the newness of the exotic wears off, but it doesn't matter, because the guy usually wasn't serious in the first place. Western girls here, for the most part, are looking for something a bit more. They realize that without certain commonalities, or at least some give and take, a relationship is pointless and doomed. I think this, combined with certain stereotypes about Chinese men, makes most Western females reluctant to give Chinese guys a chance.

Tsunku, that sounds very wise, but I don't believe it. Marriages are also generally between Asian women and Western men, not the other way round. Perhaps men believe that one can actually make real contact across the cultural divide?

I hope so, or I'll be in the divorce court soon.

I personally prefer to marry someone with the same background. Although strangely I'm not so attracted to westernized-Chinese girls, even though I'm a westernized-chinese guy!

Over here we see lots of white male/asian female couples. Call it love or call it a fetish. If they can get over the cultural aspects then they can live happily ever after. In most cases, the Asian spouse will give up her heritage, sad but true (of course this depends if the other spouse is really into 'asian' stuff).

I guess in Western countries, Hollywood plays an influential role with Asian females attracted to white males. Ask any girl here who she would like to be with and she'll give a name like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, etc. When there is an Asian actor of that calibre then things will change!

Actually the Asian women most western guys marry are -- Korean and Filipino.

Each year about 3,000 American GIs marry Korean girls. But the divorce rate is startling -- 80%. Many Korean girls finally become gar girls at the Inner City brothels in many US cities.

Many Filipino girls become mail order brides in US, Australia, Canada and even Japan.

Likely these two national groups are more attractive to western male.

I can't for the life of me remember where I read it but there was some US State Department report about the issue of "mail order" brides (meaning relationships initiated over the internet between American men and foreigner women that eventually led to marriage.)

Anyway, the number one country where they came from was Russia, and the Phillipines was next. Interestingly the report said that while American women who married foreigners were typically less educated and less wealthy than average, American men who married foreign women were statisticly more educated and more wealthy than other American men. Looks like an interesting phenomenon, huh?

http://us_asians.tripod.com/articles-interracial-marriages.html

Looks like Ian is right on the dot. If you look at the second table in the above link, Filipino and Korean women are the most likely among the Asian ethnic groups to marry a white husband.

But this is only true for Asian-Americans born in the US. If you include Asian women who immigrated to the US (first-generation parents) in the total count, Filipino and Japanese women make up the largest percentage marrying a white husband.

Close enough :D

Anyway, the number one country where they came from was Russia, and the Phillipines was next. Interestingly the report said that while American women who married foreigners were typically less educated and less wealthy than average, American men who married foreign women were statisticly more educated and more wealthy than other American men. Looks like an interesting phenomenon, huh?

yeah, i have heard that there's a saying, "its easy to teach a russian girl to speak good english, but hard to teach an american girl to be a good wife." hah~

Ian_Lee wrote:

Somehow misled by the image stereotyped by Hollywood, the western male perceive Chinese female as the weaker group that they can dominate as their grandparents did 100+ years ago towards the western female.

I am a laowai who married a Shanghainese woman. Anyone who thinks Asian women are submissive partners doesn't know the women of Shanghai. 8)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some Chinese may think that their culture prohibit them from going out of their own "circle." Males and females are different.

Perceptions in societies and expectations for males and females are different. For example, in American society (comparatively speaking) it's more acceptable for lesbians but not to the same extent for gays.

Of course, some who study psychology, sociology, anthropology, or else may argue that female holding hands etc are ok (cus females who do those are not necessarily lesbians) not the guys though. Indians in India, the males hold hands in many places (those young people) not because they are gays but because that's one of their manifestation of friendship.

Back to CBC's original message here. I think many may be more curious about Asian and Caucasians/Blacks and not necessarily about Westernized Asians. More of an ethnicity issue. Especially the phenomenon of male Cacusain and Asian female, but not as commonly observed in Asian male and Caucasian female. A lot has to do with attitudes, especially true if they are truly from different cultural backgrounds between East & West. "Generally" I have detected that many more Asians are subconsciously or psychologically more accepting accommodating of Caucasians, but not the other way round.

Being courteous and try to be politically correct is one thing, what goes on deeper in human minds can be quite different.

What's the ration of the mixed marriages staying together (true love instead of only ephemeral & more physical excitments)? Mixed marriages can work between more understanding and truly more unique couples. Men--gets excited much more easily in different ways, both physically and mentally. Women--takes more moments to build up the heat. Much less Caucasians interested in learning more about the Asians ways, and Asians learned the Caucasian ways.