Chinese-Forums

BLCU Accommodation

roddy

Actually you'll be placed in Dorm 1 since you're a guy. (Dorm 9 is girls only, although there are also girls in dorm 1 from floors 1-3 or 4 I forget).

Honestly it's not that bad. The rooms are bigger in dorm 1 than they are in dorm 9, there are elevators (which is grand. I had to lug my suitcase up 4 flights of stairs on my first day of school), and its really close the the main building where you'll take classes.

The only thing that dorm life made a bit gross for me were the bathrooms. But nothing is going to make a squat toilet appealing, even if it were rimmed in gold.

I don't see why moving into a (paying) dorm will be a problem for you. I heard of a few (paying/non scholarship)girls who actually wanted to dorm in dorm 9 but there was no available space.

Hello grawrt

Thanks so much for your reply. U don't know how much help you have been to me.

So u are telling me that it is possible to move to another Dorm if I want to ? Must I pay the difference or must I pay the whole accommodation fees for another dorm please ? I hope I'm not bothering you with all my questions.

Btw are u still studying there ?

I think you need to pay the whole accommodation fee but it wouldn't hurt to ask them if you decide to move to another dorm. I stayed in the dorm I was given so take my advice with a grain of salt, but its not uncommon for scholarship students to opt out of the free dorms and get a paying dorm. Just keep in mind that it'll take a chunk of your monthly allowance.

no I'm not studying there anymore. I was a student from 9.2014-7.2015. Feel free to ask me any questions. I don't think much has changed since then but I could be wrong.

Ok thanks a lot for the clarifications. I understand that it can take a big part of my monthly allowance but I prefer to be living in a good hygenic place because this means a lot for me. I am not used to 'squat toilets' or even sharing same bathrooms with a large number of people. I'm afraid this can have an impact on my learning there and that I don't feel comfortable during my stay in BLCU.

Are the dorms distributed on the day of registration please ? Which dorms can you recommend me apart from dorm 1 please ?

What are the nationalities of most of the students in dorm 1 please ?

I will be arriving 2 days before the registration day is opened, do you think I can check for a better accommodation in BLCU during these free days ?

Thank you for your time and help. I'm so grateful.

Registration day is about 3 days, and the school gives you a whole schedule what to do. I found it really well organized and also fast paced.  You can arrive and live in your dorm a day or two early without any problems, they have the dorms already available for you, but at the end of the month they'll charge you for the few days early you came (which isn't much and understandable). I think if the bathroom is a problem for you then any dorm except dorm 1 should be fine since I believe they all have private bathrooms (but I could be wrong).

The nationalities of dorm 1 are so mixed. It's hard to say. It's also a huge dorm (I think 10 floors... ) in comparison to the other dorms.

I don't think you'll have a problem. I'm sure other people have opted out of dorm 1 or 9 in preference for a nicer dorm. Maybe after stopping by your dorm you can check out the others. Has anyone responded to your emails about accommodation?

Thank u for the reponse again

Here is what they replied to me when i asked them that i will be arriving on the 29th august and that registration will be starting on the 31st:

Hello: August 29 days there is no question of our accommodation, can arrange accommodation. After school directly into the center of our school accommodation check-in formalities.

As u can see they have mixed up all the english words in their reponse and impossible for me to understand what they have replied.

I sent them another mail to ask for a clarification but no reply from them :(

So, as time is going so quickly, i had to book an hotel outside the campus for the 2 days before the registration day.

I think on the 30th, I will be visiting BLCU and see if i can book my room already before the registration day.

Do you know please as from what time and till when do they have the registration process ?

Is the registration process in English plz ?

Do I need to inform them before That im arriving early in Beijing so that they are aware and can prepare a room for me already ?

Thanking u again so much

@daren2503

hahahaha I laughed so badly when I saw the reply they sent you from BLCU, cause it's obvious that they wrote it in Chinese and then used "Baidu Translate" to translate it into English! :lol: :lol: Well, from what I can understand from that reply, they meant to tell you that there is no problem to arrive on August 29th and you will directly be able to get a room in the dorm. The chinese word "问题" can be translated either as "question" or as "problem", but Baidu Translate chose the wrong word for the case! hahaha

So, just go to BLCU Accomodation Center after you get to China and you will be able to get a room. Hope this helped you! Wish you a pleasant stay in China! 

@ Song Hu:

Hello.. Wowww thank you so much for your reply and help. I now understand their mail more clearly thanks to you :)

By the way, I sent the same request on another mail at BLCU and they replied me in very good english this time :) Here is their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail, and you are welcome to study in BLCU.

You cannot register on August 29th, but you can check in the dorm first. Please just contact with the accommodation center for confirmation. Their e-mail is zhusu1@blcu.edu.cn

Sorry we do not offer airport pick-up service to scholarship students who will study in Beijing’s universities. We suggest you take a taxi from airport to BLCU (北京语言大学)which may cost about 150 RMB.

So as u said, I will be able to check in a room at my arrival there, I just need to contact on that email address :) 

Do you study in BLCU please ?

Thanks again a lot for your help

Darren

@grawrt and @Song Hu:

Hi

Do you know if the university will make us have another foreign physical examination please ? Because i have already did one here in my country and i have the document already.

About registration day:

Do you know please as from what time and till when do they have the registration process ?

Is the registration process in English plz ?

Thank you for your response

Darren

If your physical evaluation has expired (past 6 months) you'll need to retake it, but regardless, you still need to bring your documents to the clinic and pay a fee to have it verified, I think its like 60 RMB. Just make sure to bring everything as this will make the process go more smoothly. 

The registration is in English and honestly is very easy to go through because everything is really organized, just be sure to bring 10 pictures because they will use most of them.

I'm afraid I forgot what time the registration was at. But if you get there early on the first day you'll be given a packet filled with all the information you need to get registered and settled at the school (including the times)

Does anyone have updated info about the Conference center? I stayed there a few weeks last summer (2015) but it went under construction and everybody had to move out. I'm now returning to BLCU for the autumn and I'd like to stay there again. Is it ready? Is the restaurant downstairs already in use?

Thanks! 

• 5 months later...

@daren2503

Thank you for your reply, I did get the reply from the school but I'm not sure whether 100% I can get the room by the time I arrive the school. Here is a screenshot of the reply from the school. Personally I'm still afraid of not having the room by the time I register at the office because the school may not have enough room, I'm really confused. I'm also not sure should I pay the deposit or personally contact the staff to make sure I have room, because my Chinese is very basic and if I do that personal way once I register with staff I have to explain provide some kind of evidence.

Li4A11.png

Your welcome :)

What kind of scholarship do you have ? Because if you are a CSC one, definitely there will be a room available for you. And then from there if you are not satisfied you can change to another depending on the availibility of other rooms in other dorms. I have done that and im actually in Dorm 7.

You can try to call them and ask about your reservation and payment because some of them speak english at the Accommodation Centre.

When are you arriving ? if you are arriving before the administration process, that's why they are telling you that they are not sure if they will have a room available for you.

Do you know on which dates the administration process will take place ?

• Like 1

I'm not a scholarship student, self-supporting

My registration day is 27th of February, I send the email just for reserving a room as on the "Notes to long-term student" paper said I need to send email and reserve a room. 

So should I do something else more, I follow the instruction on the "Notes to long-term student" paper and believe it is the best way to get a room. I'm not sure if I'm doing something further more it may work or it may mess up everything.