Chinese-Forums

Harbin Institute of Technology

roddy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

It's good enough. I don't know difference between Chinese and western kind of toilets, but, I am not sure that this is the criteria for choose university :-D  Campus is good, there are hospital, stadium, supermarket, sports grounds and etc. But dorm is really cold in winter.

emmanuel i'm tallking about the squat toilets, i just could not do get use to it i should have serious adaptation issues with this. Rest of things i will get use easily. But  talk to me more about dorms, are they wide or crowded, shared or private toilets, twin beds or separated beds, i guess no calefaction? I'm from the southamerican caribbean here is normally between 24 to  38 C so i migth have also problems with cold being 11-15 C the hottest in summer in Harbin. 

Dorm has western kind of toilets ) Wide, private toilets in every block (one block contains two rooms, kitchen, bathroom), separated beds. One room for two master degree student, if you're phd u can live alone in room. There is heating, but not soo good :) but, good enough for me :) This is  foreigners dorms issue. Summer ~25-30C. But, today 24C :-D  Winter: -25 ~ - 30 C

• Like 1

Good, just wondering, any chance to get a single room being a Master student? I could afford to pay the extra. And is the bathroom cleaned by the students themselves or services employees? Just wondering isn't like i'm looking for this  but i'd like to be sure. 

emmanuel, i don't trust those web rankings, they are very contradictory, i see the universities supposedly ranked in my country, only 4 univeristies are shown and they are not the best in anysense, they are good? yes maybe but not best so i can't trust that ranking anymore i don't understand how people can guide from those ranking, maybe for USA and EU they are more accurated but this make me be unsure about China, they don't know china aswell my country. 

Skylee, you migth think random opinon is invalid, but when you collect a good ammount of them, you have what is is known as statistical sample which tend to be more accurated than those weird rankings. Of course general public opinons tend to better as long as survey population has average higher education. Direct familiar and friends reference is better than any "ranking". I only wish to have chinese friends to ask their families about these questions.,

Sujeto, who do you think your future employers are going to consult, their friends and Chinese families or official rankings? I understand your skepsis, but when it comes to things like quality of a university, random people on the internet and random families from a certain country are not going to be that much more knowledgable than official rankings. Now if you want to know which neighbourhoods are nice, or which restaurants are good, by all means go by personal opinions.

Personal experience - my niece goes to a local university in Hong Kong and I am confident that she is receiving good education. However, would I recommend anyone else study there? Probably not. It is very far from the top universities even here and she is there because it was the best that she could do and she can't take any more pressure. Is it a good university? I have no doubt it is. Are there better ones? Of course there are much better ones out there. There are Hong Kong universities that make those rankings. And they are better. Would that degree be good for my niece? Of course. Would it be good for someone who has crossed oceans to try to get a good education? My advice would be if he can do better, he should.