Chinese-Forums

Harbin Institute of Technology

roddy

sa1365 i applied first for CSC then HIT revised my documentation and sent me a Conditional Acceptance letter. I gotta reach HIT before September. It is done, i better prepare myself for the coldest weather i have ever been.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can i find more information about HIT, anyother Forum more active than this? I'm a bit worried about the lack of information, i'm realizing HIT isn't that good for foreigners. I can't find general information on internet nor about the rules, scheduls, not even an adress where i have to go, i only know is in Harbin. Somebody who may guide me we can talk trough facebook or something... I'm mostly goin there blind i don't have experience goin overseas.

emmanuel, do you know wheter English Engineering course are taugth in Harbin itself or Shenzhen? See this thing is so confusing, Graduate School of HIT is in Shenzhen. My contact with HIT staff is so slow and kind of useless. They can't even provide me with a detailed list of courses.

I have question for example. If i join Electrical Engineering Master, can i take Courses from other Schools like Computer Science? I'm not sure how education system works in China. If Course is fixed or you can choose your majors.

• 1 month later...

Great explanation Eliaso, i would wish an Engineering point of view also. How common is the communication in English? Eng. Professors speak a good level of English? Are there good technological projects in progress where i can participate?

In the other hand, i'm from a very warm country, i'm a bit worry about the weather in Harbin affecting my health, Of course you didn't have problem with this since you are also from a nordic country. I was in Argentina once, and there isn't that cold compared with Harbin for sure, but i was mostly dying in silence because the cold.

Great explanation Eliaso, i would wish an Engineering point of view also.

Sorry, but cannot really help you with that. I've however met many foreigners studying in engineering programs and none of them have complained to me about their programs while none have praised them either.

How common is the communication in English?

Most (foreign) students speak decent English with the exception of Russians and East Asians. And even some of them do. International student centre sends their emails in both Chinese and English. Somebody in the staff will be able to communicate in English when you have to do official stuff.

Eng. Professors speak a good level of English?

No idea.

Are there good technological projects in progress where i can participate?

No idea, but... Somebody I talked once briefly with was doing an exchange thing as part of his phd studies which if I remember correctly were about aerospace engineering. He was satisfied with the general quality of his experience from an academic point of view. His only complain was that he always needed a minder when going to do stuff at lab.

In the other hand, i'm from a very warm country, i'm a bit worry about the weather in Harbin affecting my health, Of course you didn't have problem with this since you are also from a nordic country. I was in Argentina once, and there isn't that cold compared with Harbin for sure, but i was mostly dying in silence because the cold.

Being from a nordic country doesn't make me immune to cold weather nor does it make me like it. What makes you think cold weather would affect your health? Don't mimic Harbin locals who walk streets during winters without wearing gloves or hats their jacket open. That would be very stupid. Get a good winter jacket, winter boots, wear layers of clothing, long johns, cover your head, ears and hands. That's it. Indoors have heating. If your dormitory or apartment is cold your window is propably the reason. Do what all the locals do - get some tape, plastic and sealing strip. Cover all edges or even the whole windows with plastic. Instead of using that crappy blanket your dormitory provides you go to Carrefour/Walmart and invest in a real thick feather or wool blanket. You'll sleep like a baby.

One final thing - I've seen many of your posts on this forum. I know that possibly moving to a different country, actually into a completely different continent and culture, raises many questions and worries. A friendly advice, though: you need to relax a little bit. Don't panic, things will work out in the end. Living in a place like Harbin can sometimes be frustrating for even a seasoned globetrotter. Information about whatever you wan't to know about isn't available, nobody seems to know anything, there's a language barrier and even simple things might take a lot of effort to get done. Worrying too much in an enviroment like China and wanting to get every-answer-right-now will make you extremely stressed and angry. So, relax for the sake of your own sanity. I wish you all the luck if you end up coming here.

If your dormitory or apartment is cold your window is propably the reason. Do what all the locals do - get some tape, plastic and sealing strip.

I read somewhere that Russians stuff the gaps around their window with cottonwool, I forgot if they then put tape over the cottonwool but that would make sense. Haven't tried this myself but you can see if it works.

If you're from a warm climate, I imagine the cold might be bad for your mood, but as long as you wear enough clothes (longjohns are great), eat enough and stay warm at night, it's not bad for your health.

read somewhere that Russians stuff the gaps around their window with cottonwool, I forgot if they then put tape over the cottonwool but that would make sense. Haven't tried this myself but you can see if it works.

Hah. It doesn't work. Everybody tried, it doenst make any difference. After it everybody just buy "heater" or "fan". Of course, dorm's rules don't allow to use it. But who cares...

It'll be warm when you arrive, so you'll have time to prepare for the winter. The initial arrival can be very stressful, but there will be plenty of people around you going through the same thing and you'll work it all out. 

280 dollar is not much, but you won't starve. I assume you can live in the university dorm without extra costs and tuition is paid for, so as long as you don't do anything expensive you'll be okay.

I had no idea you can't get US dollars in Venezuela, that's hugely inconvenient. Is it perhaps possible to just buy renminbi directly? Or you could ask your bank if you can just get renminbi out of an ATM in China, I have no idea if Venezuelan banks do that (or do that at the moment), but perhaps they can since there is no US dollars involved?

That's really inconvenient, I sympathise. Hopefully some kind of solution can be found. At least you have the scholarship, it's not a lot but you can get by on that.

You guys in America for sure can go everywhere when you want (...)

Could you clarify who the 'you' is you're talking to here? In your posts it often seems like you assume that everyone here on the forums (except for you) is American. That is not the case at all.

Lu i rather focus about HIT, since its a HIT Thread, so i wouldnt want to go deeper into off-topic. In fact im goin to edit my other posts in respect for the forum members.

One think i certainly promise is to go back here and leave a resume of my experience in HIT as Eliaso just did, its important that people learn how to cut the " Western wire" and learn how to live as a chinese, since you are in China. In my case for example, i really would like to have an advanced recommendation where to buy good eletronic stuffs, as i mentioned on my last post about buying a laptop in china.

I initially though Shanghai were my destination but its now almost confirmed im goin to Harbin. Certainly i prefered Shanghai as a more western compatible city than Harbin.