Chinese-Forums

Chinese Language Program @Tsinghua University (February 2012)

Brian Lau

As for the little dinner before classes begin I'm totally in ! I'll arrive on monday and really hope that everything is gonna be okay ! Honestly, I'm a bit preoccupied about the first day. Where do you need to go first in order to set down our luggage ? Can we directly go to the dorms to check-in or do we have to register and pay the tuition fees first ? Any feedbacks from those who are currently there ?

See you all soon !!!

Hi y.kwok

I think you should check into the dorm first to set down ur luggage. The registration date is from Mon - Wed (Feb 13 - 15) so you still have some time. When you've arrived at Tsinghua, head over to building 19 to check-in. You'll have to pay at least 6 months of dorm fee plus a RMB 200 deposit (you can leave after you've stayed for 60 days and get a full refund). If you pay by a bank card, there are extra commission fee (for example, I had to pay RMB 260 extra by using Mastercard). Your dorm building should be close to building 19.

The place for registration is at building 22. Remember to bring 8 photos along with other documents outline in ur admission package. If not, you can also take a photo here at building C.

Have a safe trip!

To jchris, if I remember correctly, you only need your ID and money to open a bank account. I haven't done it yet so I can't say anything about it.
Just opened a bank account yesterday at the Bank of China in Building C Gwynie mentioned. There's a form you need to fill in to open an account, but the employee who helped me spoke English so she filled in the form for me.

You will need a Chinese phone number and your passport to open an account. I think it only cost me 20 RMB to open this account. Not sure why Gwynie had to pay 200 RMB.

@Gwynie: Where did you get your physical examination? You're referring to the physical examination form for 1 year students right?

@Everyone: I arrived at Tsinghua on the 10th of February. I've already met some people here who will also be doing the CLP. Yesterday we went to a shopping area (forgot the name) by metro and had a nice hotpot for dinner. A few of them speak advanced Mandarin, so that's really convenient! If you want to hang out, send me a PM or a text message on 155-0115-2669.

Lets us all have dinner together sometime next week when most people have arrived. How about we shoot it for next Fri (Feb 17th) around 6pm after we all get to settle down a bit? Location to be determined but feel free to suggest a place near Wudaokou.

Jchris, Chao Li Chen, Dewi Tjitra Salim, and everyone who has arrived: How about we have a little dinner together with me, Gwynie, and Arnoldhj tonight? Send me a text on 183-010-45683 or PM me.

Aim, Gwynie, Arnoldhj, me and Gary (a guy I met at Tsinghua) are going out for dinner this evening. I've also invited some other people. We're meeting at 6.30 pm in front of the KFC near the Wudaokou station. The KFC is at a big intersection. If you want to join, just send a text to aim or me, our mobile numbers are on this forum. I'm not sure I'll be reading this forum again today. Hope to see some more people join us for dinner!

Hi everybody!

I will probably arriving this Tuesday at the dorms. Is there someone who wants to hang out or do something?

Chao Li Chen:

Aim, Gwynie, Arnoldhj, me and Gary (a guy I met at Tsinghua) are going out for dinner this evening. I've also invited some other people. We're meeting at 6.30 pm in front of the KFC near the Wudaokou station. The KFC is at a big intersection. If you want to join, just send a text to aim or me, our mobile numbers are on this forum. I'm not sure I'll be reading this forum again today. Hope to see some more people join us for dinner!

I would like to join when I'm arriving! Do you speak Dutch? My phone number is : 138 116 434 38.

Someone who goes for breakfast every morning? I don't know where/how to get it here..

Hope to see you guys all soon, I am excited but also really afraid!! Haha.

Hi Fify, I do speak Dutch. You can send me a text message when you've arrived at Tsinghua so we can meet. I've already met another Dutch guy, Gary. He speaks basic Mandarin, so you really should get to know him :)

I prefer to eat breakfast at my room. You can buy instant noodles and sliced bread at the supermarket (which is close to the dormitories). If you prefer to eat breakfast at the cafeteria, you can. There's a cafeteria close to the dormitories.

Hey everyone,

Sorry aim and Chao Li Chen, didn't get to visit this site till now, but thanks for the invite!

I just moved in to building 20 a few hours ago and did not realize just how big the campus was!!

I speak really basic Mandarin, but if anyone needs help checking in or if anyone wants to hang out, you can just pm me.

Hi guys,

I'm going to be registering tomorrow at some point. Hopefully will bump into some of you lot!

Oh, and just arrived today so will be on the look out for non-campus accommodation from tomorrow!!

No mobily no yet; will post when I get a Chinese SIM!

Hi Fify, I do speak Dutch. You can send me a text message when you've arrived at Tsinghua so we can meet. I've already met another Dutch guy, Gary. He speaks basic Mandarin, so you really should get to know him :)

I prefer to eat breakfast at my room. You can buy instant noodles and sliced bread at the supermarket (which is close to the dormitories). If you prefer to eat breakfast at the cafeteria, you can. There's a cafeteria close to the dormitories.

Hi Chao, and everybody!

Oh, that’s nice! I miss it to speak Dutch already. I have some problems with texting lately. So I don’t know if you receive any of my texts. Otherwise I will call or leave you a message.

Are there any plans for Wednesday diner?

Who lives in the dormitories? I live in building 21.

I really need to find my way on campus;). See you guys soon!

Hey Fify, I'm in building 20. How do you like your dorm so far?

Im not sure if this is common knowledge, but my roommate told me that hot water is only available 3 times a day. 7 to 9 in the morning, 3 to 5pm, and then 8 to midnight.

Oh and forgot to post my number: 186-104-83752

If anyone wants to get lunch or dinner today, feel free to text or call me. Hope to see you guys soon!