Chinese-Forums

Cantonese !!

skylee

Pretty sure the tone modification in Cantonese that isn't technically "sandhi" is still commonly enough referred to as "Cantonese tone sandhi" that the question is kind of facetious if that's what it's directed at.

If you meant that the 眼 in 白鴿眼 should retain its lexical tone, then yeah it should but I have heard people modifying low register tones to HR where they "shouldn't" before and while I hesitate to assume Publius's ear for Cantonese tones is accurate, I wouldn't be all that surprised to hear a pronunciation like that.

Just another nugget for anyone interested:

方新送走咗謝紅後,返到屋企,佢諗住嗰啲軟件,但係屋企無電腦,點做呢?於是去中關村,打算買一部電腦。但係,最便嘅都要一萬二千蚊,佢一個月嘅人工,就算唔食唔住,都唔夠買。佢諗咗下,打算請小月幫忙。
    方新啱啱到北京嘅時候,有個朋友想介紹小月畀佢做女朋友,佢地見面後,佢亦覺得小月幾好:幾高、幾靚。但係,因為小月係北京人,方新嘅屋企人唔係好中意,所以就無同小月成為男女朋友。

過咗幾個月,方新識咗謝紅,覺得佢幾好,好快就同佢結咗婚。但係,唔知點解,小月到而家仲係單身。不過,因為佢哋都喺同一個地方做嘢,所以有時都會見到面。從中關村返嚟,方新約小月見面,同佢講,想做中文軟件,但係無電腦嘅困難。小月話:我生日嘅時候,爸爸媽媽送咗一部電腦畀我,可以借畀你。第二日朝早,小月將電腦送嚟喇!睇住呢部咁靚嘅電腦,方新十分高興!從嗰日開始,每日放工返到屋企,佢就忙住做軟件,時時做到十二點幾,甚至到一兩點。

I think it is common to write inexpensive as 平, not 便?

Also there appears to be a typo: 佢地見面後

Fong Sun is a bit of a user, eh? Apparently Siu Yuet is good enough to call up when he needs a computer but not good enough to defy his parents for.

Thank you.

Perfection is elusive.

I think I do like 平. Edit: She says that both are good but in her own experience 便 is more common. I'll just add 平 to the same flashcard and learn both (as I did with 起床/起身).

Yes, maybe the stories at a higher level will be more nuanced. :-)