Chinese-Forums

Fudan University Accommodation

陳德聰

About how to bring guests in:

Also, you can go first with your card, tell your friend to wait outside (back of sub-building is the best place), pass your card to your friend through the fence.

Or, call it an investment: go to reception, report your card get lost/stolen, fill up some forms, pay RMB 50, you get a new card (your old on will automatically defunct), now you have two cards for you and your guest.

There is actually a big hole on the fence right in front of the main building (I have no idea who made that), it mainly serves as transaction hole for students from inside and delivery guy (McD, KFC, korean restaurant etc) on the other side. The hole is big enough for skinny Asian guy to pass through, but if you're 6 feet something, well built Caucasian guy, just forget about it :lol:

About your plan B: baijiu would be too much, a pack of cigarettes would suffice it. Smoke with them (Chinese style bro bonding, never fails). Although, I think it wouldn't be necessary too. The guards mainly stay in their little station by the gate. They wouldn't even bother checking into our building/room. Once your guest is inside, there wouldn't be any trouble.

About your plan C: North Koreans, yes, I'm not joking, North Koreans live in my building (hopefully they're coming back next semester), you can make friends with them if you want

I don't consider myself that big but there's no way Im gonna fit into that hole even though I haven't seen it yet. I'll make sure I check it out first thing upon arrival though :)

I only smoke when I drink so I might visit their booths on Friday/Saturday nights and see if they fancy any Tsingtao. I guess it'd really pay off to make friends with them.

I'd love to meet some North Koreans! There was a North Korean restaurant in Phnom Penh but the employees weren't allowed to hang out outside. I think the experience would be priceless! You need to introduce them to me!!! Then we can have some soju and dig a tunnel if necessary.

By the way Edih, I was looking at flights to Bali from SH and it looks like the cheapest is China Eastern for around USD700 which is super expensive for a 5hr flight. How do you usually fly home? Haven't checked flights to Jakarta but I guess the price would be similar?

China Eastern, up till now, is the only option if you want to fly directly from Shanghai to Denpasar (Bali). But if you don't mind flying indirectly (of course longer flight time + layover) maybe you can find more options with better price.

So far, I've flown with Garuda Indonesia (GA). They serve direct flight from Jakarta - Shanghai (6.5 hours, one way fare costs US$ 350 - 400, depends on low/high season). I'm sure you can fly Shanghai - Jakarta - Denpasar (although I'm not sure it's gonna be cheaper)

You can try http://www.garuda-indonesia.com/gi_us/

Surprisingly, Korean Air often offers best price from China to SE Asia. Last winter I flew KE Shanghai - Incheon - Jakarta. Ok, My travel time doubled plus I had to make stopover at Incheon but the price is dirt cheap. It's high season, around Chinese new year, and I only paid RMB 2200 (one way). I'm sure KE flies directly from Incheon to Denpasar so you only need to make one layover.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hi, I want to study the Mandarin language program at Fudan next semester (Feb-June 2013). I want to book into an apartment room at Tohee. It looks like you have to ring up - is this a very difficult process and do the reception speak English? I have a moderate/intermediate grasp of Chinese but not sure I'd be confident enough to use it for this. I can read/write better though, but not sure if they return emails.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • New Members

Found this thread from some search engine, although aged a year already, but will be appreciated if someone can help me to have some information.

My name's Hasta, 27/male, from Medan. Living in Jakarta now. I've got the admission letter from Fudan already.

But who shall I need to contact there?

• New Members

Hello! I just had a question about studying abroad at Fudan. I'm going for the fall semester, and I'm a little confused about reserving a dorm room. When you reserved a room, how far or close to the orientation start date were you able to do it?

@hastajunianto: if you got your admission letter there is no need to contact anyone I guess. You can call the international office and confirm you are coming but Im not sure if its necessary

@triunfo: both are bad. Difference is uni gym is free and has heavier weights. Its small tho and old. There are actually 2 gyms on campus.

Tera Wellness looks fancy with a swimming pool etc but the weights area is really small. If you lift heavy it wont do. I prefer uni gym.

@Heimeigui11: I think room reservstions are now closed.

Yeah the squat rack is pretty bad in the north gym (close to tohee), theres a better one in the south gym. Generally the south gym is much better but its like 2.5km away from tohee.

Anyway, i suggest you buy an electric scooter when you get here. Location of Fudan is shit. I wish I applied to Jiaotong...