Chinese-Forums

Occupy Central 佔領中環

skylee

This sounds ridiculous / laughable -> 習 近 平 : 一 國 兩 制 是 實 現 兩 岸 統 一 最 佳 方 式

I wonder if anyone sane in Taiwan would find "One country, two systems" acceptable, seeing what is happening to / in Hong Kong.  (But I am not sure if people might find the Macau model appealing.)

中 共 總 書 記 習 近 平 上 午 在 人 民 大 會 堂 會 見 台 灣 和 平 統 一 團 體 訪 問 團 。 習 近 平 強 調 , 和 平 統 一 、 一 國 兩 制 是 解 決 台 灣 問 題 的 基 本 方 針 , 是 實 現 國 家 統 一 的 最 佳 方 式 , 將 以 最 大 誠 意 、 盡 最 大 努 力 爭 取 和 平 統 一 的 前 景 。

習 近 平 表 示 , 一 國 兩 制 在 台 灣 的 具 體 實 現 形 式 , 會 充 分 考 慮 台 灣 現 實 情 況 , 大 陸 理 解 台 灣 同 胞 因 特 殊 歷 史 遭 遇 和 不 同 社 會 環 境 而 形 成 的 心 態 , 尊 重 台 灣 同 胞 自 己 選 擇 的 社 會 制 度 和 生 活 方 式 , 願 意 用 真 誠 、 善 意 、 親 情 拉 近 兩 岸 同 胞 的 心 理 距 離 。

習 近 平 又 表 示 , 「 台 獨 」 分 裂 勢 力 仍 未 罷 休 , 強 調 絕 不 容 忍 任 何 分 裂 國 家 的 行 徑 , 當 前 兩 岸 關 係 雖 然 面 臨 一 些 新 情 況 新 問 題 , 但 和 平 發 展 的 大 趨 勢 沒 有 改 變 。

I wonder if anyone sane in Taiwan would find "One country, two systems" acceptable, seeing what is happening to / in Hong Kong.  (But I am not sure if people might find the Macau model appealing.)

It is completely unacceptable. We're following the situation in Hong Kong very closely. 

The future of Taiwan should be decided by the people of Taiwan. The future of Hong Kong should be decided by the people of Hong Kong. No outside influences.

Stopping here, because I could go on about Taiwanese history forever...

gato:

I could read the first three characters and figured out the third: 一国两制。

However, it surprized my that there were no measure words, not even 个。

It reminds me of dispensed grammar in English when the phrases are short and clear.

Is this common in Chinese as well?

There was confrontation between the Police and students protesting outside the government HQ last night. Pepper spray was used, students were arrested.

Scholarism leader Joshua Wong arrested

Occupy organisers arrive at protest

Joshua Wong, the leader of the student activist group Scholarism, has been handcuffed and arrested after pro-democracy demonstrators climbed over recently-erected railings around Civic Square near Government Headquarters at Tamar.

Around 50 demonstrators managed to get over the high metal railings, whilst hundreds more demonstrated outside. One activist, Willis Ho, said she scaled the railings because the square belonged to the people.

After the first group of demonstrators got in they tried to stand on the podium for the flag pole, but police officers quickly surrounded them.

Officers then used pepper spray against other protesters who were trying to storm the gates.

At least three people, including a police officer who was seen holding his chest, were injured during the chaos. They were taken away on stretchers by ambulance men.

Civic Square was originally open to the public but was fenced off earlier this year for security reasons. It had been a favourite gathering site for demonstrations, some of which became unruly. Two years ago it was the location of a high profile demonstration against national education in schools; a government plan which was eventually shelved.

PS - video news on this week's events -> Week of landmark student protests

• Like 1

Jumping the fence wasn't smart. It just got people arrested and achieve much. The goal now should be to get more of the general public behind the protests. You need more people out on the streets. Hundred of thousands, if possible. It's best to avoid actions that can be perceived as too radical or too confrontational that'll be a turn-off for moderates.

The goal now should be to get more of the general public behind the protests. You need more people out on the streets. Hundred of thousands, if possible.
I agree. Jumping the fence in itself was not really the problem I think (if Taiwanese students can occupy their parliament, Hongkongnese should be able to take back their square) but the protest was very small, in my opinion. 2000 students is really not a lot.

The occupation has started.

Early this morning the organisers announced the start of the occupation at the government HQ. They said 飲勝 (= 乾杯). People are now going there to join them.

I find the whole situation a bit disappointing. (1) The government HQ is at Tamar, which is at Admiralty. It is not quite Central, which is a subway stop away. You can't paralyze Hong Kong by occupying Tamar. The government departments there have contingency plans and they will be able to operate no matter what. The big businesses, banks and stock exchange are in Central!! (2) It looks like that the students' protests have forced the occupation to start earlier (and take place in a different venue) than planned. It looks like a replay of the protests against national education two years ago.

Any ways, Joshua Wong (黃之鋒) has been arrested and refused bail. And he is still not yet 18 (which means that when he protested against national education he was about 15). 莫欺少年窮 indeed. IMHO it is not reasonable to detain him. But even if he were released he would probably break the bail conditions right away, so perhaps it would not make a big difference.

• Like 2

Dissident economist He Qinglian has some good analysis on Twitter. She believes that if HK police isn't able to clear out the protesters due to lack of manpower, the central government might mobilize the armed police in Guangdong (in HK police uniform as a disguise) to join the HK police.

https://twitter.com/heqinglian/status/516019446524432385

The Police has blocked all the foot bridges to Tamar, so people have taken the main roads (Harcourt Road and Connaught Road) between Tamar and Central and surrounded the police vehicles there. It is said that about 30000 people are there.

PS - the slogans they are yelling include - 學生無罪。聲援學生。

PPS - so many cameras pointing at the riot police. And it seems they are about to take some actions.

Pepper spray. Batons. And just now tear gas.

PS - 警施催淚彈驅散又手持警棍阻示威者組鐵馬陣

警方傍晚多次在夏愨道與添美道交界,示威者聚集的位置,施放催淚彈,現場場面混亂,示威者紛紛退後,部分人退至金鐘道一帶。

而在金鐘道近紅棉道就有大批防暴警察出動,手持警棍和盾牌,有示威者就以鐵馬組成防線,金鐘道的東西行線完全癱瘓。

有警員手拿警棍衝向示威者,阻止他們排鐵馬陣,金鐘道來回線已經封閉。

Updated

The High Court has ordered that Joshua Wong, the 17-year old student leader, be released. Wong's lawyers had to apply for the court order as Wong had been denied bail.

根據香港「學民思潮」的最新消息,香港法官已經批准遭到逮捕學運領袖黃之鋒的《人身保護令》。法官認為,警方原先扣押黃之鋒的行為合法,但之後長時間扣押並不合理,是不合法的扣押,所以批准《保護令》。

法官同時希望警方考慮另外兩名被扣押學生情況,以公平態度處理。

Plenty of updates on twitter as well

occupy central @OCLPHK

global solidarity HK @GlobalSolidHK

@hkdemonow for multilingual updates

Latest news out of Taiwan is that students are protesting in the lobby of the building where the HK ETCO is located. One of the chants is 今日香港,明日台灣 (today Hong Kong, tomorrow Taiwan) which I believe was a chant that started from HK students showing support of the sunflower student movement.

I've also seen reports that Instagram is now blocked in China in response to the protests.