Chinese-Forums

Your New English Words

roddy

OK it's a portmanteau, but possibly of interest when discussing 漫画.  Stumbled across it yesterday.

Scanlation

Scanlation (also scanslation) is the fan-made scanning, translation, and editing of comics from a language into another language. Scanlation is done as an amateur work and is nearly always done without express permission from the copyright holder. The word "scanlation" is a portmanteau of the words scan and translation. The term is mainly used for Japanese manga, although it also exists for other national traditions on a lesser scale. Scanlations may be viewed at websites or as sets of image files downloaded via the Internet.

• 1 month later...

based on my knowledge of italian (which is very closely related to latin) - plus google -  my guess is that you are all right at the same time

formìca is the insect (from which the name of the acid) and the word derives from latin

fòrmica is the material and the word derives from english as 889 says

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, roddy said:

cinereous - ash-gray in colour. See ceniza, ash, in Spanish, but can't think I can come up with any other English words with the same root.

Cinders, perhaps?

• Like 1

Hmm. 

Old English sinder ‘slag’, of Germanic origin; related to German Sinter . The similar but unconnected French cendre (from Latin cinis ‘ashes’) has influenced both the sense development and the spelling. Compare with sinter.

1 minute ago, roddy said:

Old English sinder ‘slag’, of Germanic origin; related to German Sinter . The similar but unconnected French cendre (from Latin cinis ‘ashes’) has influenced both the sense development and the spelling. Compare with sinter.

Okay, well if they say it's really not related, I guess that must be true...

I had to look this one up - Etiolated

Etiolation /tiəˈlʃən/ is a process in flowering plants grown in partial or complete absence of light.[1] It is characterised by long, weak stems; smaller leaves due to longer internodes; and a pale yellow colour (chlorosis). The development of seedlings in the dark is known as "skotomorphogenesis" and leads to etiolated seedlings.

I extrapolated the meaning from context - The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter (sequel to The Time Machine) He used it to describe pigeons living in almost complete darkness - total lack of Sun and only artificial light.

Having looked it up I was sort of confused as to whether or not it could be applied to animals. but he did and it made sense.

• 4 months later...