Chinese-Forums

Outlier Linguistic Solutions

OneEye

Does "right away" mean release it right away, or that it will allow you to start right away once released? If it means the latter, what's the timeframe for this?

It's the latter, and the timeframe is 3 months, as Mike pointed out. We'll be putting something on our website that will allow you to see where we are in the process.

One thing that wasn't mentioned (I think, sorry if I missed it) was what will will happen with book/learners manual that you planned to do with Olle Linge and John Pasden. Is that postponed indefinitely or is there a time plan for that as well? I understand (and agree) if you plan to fully focus on the dictionary itself for the time being.

We haven't worked out the specifics yet, but the workbook is on the back burner for the time being.

I suggested it to John a month ago, but he told me he couldn't divert resources from the dictionary... so I decided to do it myself, and it was much easier than what I expected.

Knowing now their situation at that time I understand they were quite under pressure... but definitely having a pdf that allows you to print flashcards shouldn't be a big deal, and is much more practical to print than a poster. I can send them back the images I created, if that can help speed the process.

In the meantime, know that you can still do it yourself, and put a lot of love and pride in the final product! :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I love this idea and think the flash cards look fantastic. I'm going to look into offering this as a product of some sort (either printed or in PDF form), though it may be a while before we can do it since our priority right now is getting back on track with the dictionary.

If anyone else would like to see something like this, please let me know.

I really like the flashcards and would be happy with a PDF to print on to business cards. I already use these in my business and its really easy to set up and you can even print on both sides if you take care with your registration.

I was lucky enough to get a PDF of the posters free and I printed it out as a large publication and stuck it together. See my review here Post#5 http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/50805-outlier-semantic-components-poster-review/

I found that there was only a very very small amount of "jiggling" to get it to match up. It probably won't be too difficult to chop it up into card size pieces.

I tried to do it but my image manipulation software moaned it was too big a file. I tried but was unable to follow Danloo's method.

So basically I am putting my hand up for some version of the cards.

I tried to do it but my image manipulation software moaned it was too big a file.

If your computer is not very powerful you can try either:

- reducing the zooming. Less than 800% should still be fine.

- taking smaller snapshots stripes, like one row instead of one column

Of course you shouldn't try to snapshot the whole poster at X8 zooming... it's a half billion pixels! Well it's worth a try, but you shouldn't expect it to work on a normal computer.

• Like 1

@Danloo, got it :)  I worked out what you meant and am now starting to cut and paste in my image software and working out a template so I can print them on to business cards that come as an A4 perforated sheet.

It won't be quick but its doable. When I do the first few I will share.

Thanks for sharing.

@OneEye Would it be helpful financially if kickstarter backers could opt out of receiving the physical poster? I'm happy with the PDF versions, and don't really need the printed ones.

Not really, no. We need to get over 1000 posters printed, and it will all be done in one run. So the cost of printing is the same regardless of whether a few people opt out of getting the printed poster or not. If you actually don't want the printed poster, you can tell us not to send it to you. But if you're just doing it to help out financially, I'd rather send you the poster you ordered—though I do appreciate the thought!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's an explanation of functional components. There are four types: meaning, form, sound, and empty. "Semantic component" includes both meaning components and form components.

Thank you, I found the meaning of functional components, but had great trouble finding what a semantic component is.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...