Chinese-Forums

Outlier Linguistic Solutions

OneEye

2 hours ago, mikelove said:

f you want to search only Outlier, go into Settings / Manage Dictionary Groups and create a new group (Chinese tab, first option in the popup menu) and then add only Outlier's dictionary to it. You can then tap on the [C] icon in the main dictionary search screen to switch to that Outlier-only group.

Worked perfectly, thanks a lot!

• 7 months later...

Can I suggest an entry for 辭/辤/辝/辞? I've just reached writing this character in the 千字文 and after noticing how similar the variations used in old calligraphy primers were for this character, I had a read of the relevant entries in 字源 and found it really interesting and informative, would be great to see it turn up in the dictionary (mine may be out of date, so sorry if it is actually already in there)

If you want to search only Outlier, go into Settings / Manage Dictionary Groups and create a new group (Chinese tab, first option in the popup menu) and then add only Outlier's dictionary to it. You can then tap on the [C] icon in the main dictionary search screen to switch to that Outlier-only group.

I have just tried to do this and I can only add all active dictionaries or none. I can't find out how to add just Outlier. 

On 2/1/2020 at 3:32 PM, Tomsima said:

Can I suggest an entry for 辭/辤/辝/辞? I've just reached writing this character in the 千字文 and after noticing how similar the variations used in old calligraphy primers were for this character, I had a read of the relevant entries in 字源 and found it really interesting and informative, would be great to see it turn up in the dictionary (mine may be out of date, so sorry if it is actually already in there)

There is an entry for 辭, so you must have an old version. To update, just go to Menu > Add-ons > Updated and it should be listed there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

30% off code on the website at the moment, so if anyone's considering a purchase, this might be a good time to click the button. I got the dictionary for Pleco and was very simple to activate and install. 

• Like 3

On 2/1/2020 at 1:32 AM, Tomsima said:

Can I suggest an entry for 辭/辤/辝/辞? I

I meet 辞职 (cizhi) a lot in everyday speech.

"Where is so-and-so who was here last week?"

他辞职了/她辞职了

Many places are staffed with high-turnover employees. (不稳定)  

• 4 months later...

We just released a huge update to the dictionary, which adds another 700+ completed entries and brings the total up to just over 2700 characters (announcement here). We're also running a little summer sale, with 20% off anything in the store if you use the discount code 'summer20' at checkout.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mike Love actually posted a list to Pleco forums, although that list doesn't take into account characters that were previously stubs and have now been filled in (in other words, those entries are completely new, whereas when I say 700 I'm also including filled-in stubs).

• Like 2

Not meaning to be rude or anything, but I'm guessing outlier aren't putting out specific details as then the numbers don't look so good, who knows what proportion of the 700 are new entries in the 'true' sense of the word. I'm not hating, I just miss the days of expert entries coming out with fascinating blog posts to go with the new research. Too time consuming?

6 hours ago, Tomsima said:

who knows what proportion of the 700 are new entries in the 'true' sense of the word

I did say that the ones Mike Love posted are all completely new, and that if you include filled-in stubs, there are 700 new entries. So if you subtract what Mike posted from 700, that will tell you how many were stubs. Filled-in stubs are also new entries in the "true" sense of the word—we research and write them from scratch just like the other entries.

Also, just for the sake of clarity, it isn't 700 new entries total. It's 735 new entries for traditional, 703 new entries for simplified, and 512 for kanji. That means research, writing, editing, proofreading, writing code to make sure everything that should be there is there, for 1950 dictionary entries. Yes there's overlap in the research and writing phases, but the rest has to be done individually for each entry.

We do actually have a blog post coming out soon, but keep in mind that time spent writing blog posts is time not spent writing new dictionary entries. We'd love to do more of both, but time and resources are a real factor.

• Thanks 1

• New Members

Great work! Do you guys have any intention of publishing your dictionary in a more accessible form? 

I bought the essentials version, but I would like to use the dependency graph of characters (meaning and sound components) to arrange my new vocabulary in a better way.

I understand that you want to keep the content of the dictionary as protected as possible, but maybe you can publish a searchable skeleton graph of the components without further data. 

I'm not quite sure what you're asking about. What's "the dependency graph of characters (meaning and sound components)"?

We are adding a significant amount of data to the dictionary that we've been referring to as the "system-level data," which I think may be what you're referring to. To get an idea of what I mean, check out the "System" tab of the entry for 立 in our demo.

• New Members

What I mean is a list like this:

讀; 訁meaning; 賣 sound

賣;土 empty;買meaning,sound

買;罒 sound,貝form

This forms a dependency graph of characters and is very valuable if someone wants to do some scripting themselves (e.g. organising anki cards systematically).

If that includes too much proprietary information, then making this available without the "meaning, sound, empty, form" tags would be helpful already.

If I understand your tools right, this should be a simple query from your database.

Your expert entries are very insightful and interesting, but it is still does not help people who like to create and organise their own individual learning material.

PS: your 買 component link on the 賣 entry is broken and leads to 罒 instead.