Chinese-Forums

Translation Insight for a Lovebird

fy12

I think all relationships do not have guaranteed results, but it if the odds are in your favour you are more likely to succeed.

In my opinion the odds are stacked against you.

I would like it very much if in 2 years time you came and told me everything was great and wedding bells were ringing but I won't put any money on it

As Lu says "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."

• Like 1

I respect everyone's opinion.  As for the saying, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst."  I've allowed myself options in case the relationship didn't work out.  For long distance relationships, it is of outmost importance that one must have at least a few date interests for the diversity of not risking one for everything.

• Like 1

Why does everyone just focus on the OP to learn Chinese? The chances are the girl already has some basic training in English. And if the feeling is mutual she would have a desire to improve her English too. The OP can offer to help her with English remotely as a way to keep in touch with her and to know her better, while learning some Chinese from her too.

• Like 2

I'm interested in your frequent use of the word relationship.

I would argue that the two of you are not yet in what is normally considered a relationship. Neither are you in a relationboat, nor a on a relationraft, battling the turbulent seas together. At best you are in relationcoracles or canoes, separated by the seas of culture and language. The winds of all you don't understand might summon a surging wave at any moment.

Or maybe you are paddling that coracle, you look at the waters surface. You imagine you see and hear a beautiful vista. You reach out to touch it. So close yet so far. Too late. As you fall in you realise it what you saw was only your reflection. No matter, the female shark detaches from her pod and swallows you almost whole.

Queen Mab hath bit thee, awake!

• Like 1

If the girl knew some English, wouldn't she use that to communicate with the OP? If they could communicate in English, the OP wouldn't be here asking us how to say things to her and what her name is.

举个简单点的例子,你会说普通话吗?你愿意为了我而来到上海看我吗?

is more like:  Can you speak chinese ? Would you be willing to come to shanghai to look after me.

Why the "look after me" translation?  I would have guessed the meaning as "Would you be willing to come to Shanghai just to see me?".

• Like 1

What I see is a boy caught in a state of single-side romance.  :mrgreen:  However, I am still willing to help with his love letter. If fy12 can provide the English version, I am sure my translation will be much better than the GOOGLE one. NOT because my English is good - I am a PRO of love-letter-writing :mrgreen:

Foreword:FY12 , before use the love letter, delete 【text】 

嘿,薇!【译者:搞错名字后果很严重啊!】

9月18日,我们到了这个地方并于同一天见了面。我觉得,你我比想象中更趣味相投。你我都出生在蛇年,有相同的属相。你我有共同的信仰 - 我们都是爱好和平的人【译者:这哥们在我心中的形象瞬间高大上了】。我们年龄相差仅27天。

生日快乐!林薇!【译者:再次声明 -搞错名字后果真的很严重啊】

你就是上苍赐予我的最美妙的礼物,我愿作为你灵魂上的伴侣一直陪在你的身边。

第一眼看到你的照片,我就深深的喜欢上了你。在遇到你之前,我从未对一个人如此动心。【译者:“强烈的生理的”太不含蓄了,会吓到女孩子的!】

你好吗?

我真的喜欢你的名字【译者:你确定她的名字是什么了吗?】,你的目标和梦想是什么?

Good luck!

• Like 1

@tysond one of the meanings i have for 看 is to look after, to guard over, to watch. In one of my dictionaries it is first on the list before see, look.

I suppose my pessimistic view of the whole thing made me inclined to think the worst. Look after as in pay.

• Like 1

Tysond is right, 看in the girl's message means "to meet, to see", and has nothing to do with "look after". I missed that detail in earlier discussions but now I under why this thread had become so serious in life advices.

@aone, your translation is superb, maybe you should consider a career in love letter writing/translation:). The "生理上的” part in the OP's original post confused me a lot, and it would really scare me if I were the girl.

• Like 1

I'm trying to comprehend the following attached image.  I understand the concept, but would like a walkthrough to maintain accuracy. 

For the low, low price of 0.1 yuan per entry, you too can experience True Love™. Enter the conditions you wish to impose on your unconditional love by selecting the location, age, height and  education of your future significant other. We'll even let you choose  whether or not you want a high monthly salary, a house or a car as additional True Love™ Benefits at no cost to you! For every person that fate, destiny and our database query have selected for you, you will pay a measly 0.1 yuan per match. 0.1 yuan! We are practically giving love away for free here! But wait, there's more! Let us find you 1000 perfect love interests, and we will knock 10% off the price. With 2000 perfect partners, we will give you another 10% off, totaling a whupping 20% discount on True Love™! That's right, you cannot afford to stay single any longer!

• Like 3

Daofeishi's translation is rather... free, but that's the gist of it.

Step 1: choose area; married before or not; age; height; education level

Check boxes for high salary; owns house; owns car (cost: 0.05 yuan [not sure if that is per checked box or if you can check all three for that amount])

Step 2: how many people would you like to be introduced to. Includes an estimate of how many people will look at your information. You get a discount if you want to be introduced to more people.

The price at the bottom is 30 yuan.

If this is the route you want to take, perhaps consider hiring a translator. A translator can help you sort through the registration, write a nice profile in Chinese, and communicate with prospective partners. Or consider learning some Chinese first. I would suggest using a dating site in your own country, but I suppose you have reasons not to do so. Good luck and be careful.

• Like 2

OP, I'm confused.  I thought you'd already met the one, you know, the person where "knowing the other is the right one just upon first contact", where you feel "a deep emotional connection that just presents itself unconsciously upon meeting someone, like you knew them from a past.".

That being the case, why do you need to look for more matches?

• Like 3