Chinese-Forums

Confused about Pinyin中

savah

savah is not - as is usually the case when people yell 'troll' - actually a troll. He's just that much more common thing, wrong, and also that even more common thing, struggling a little in a foreign language.

@roddy, now it's your turn to apologize for calling me names.

Roddy, this is not the same kind of place we see in many places. Be nice.

(I should be studying, perhaps working on my -ang finals which I have been told sound off, ah well... can we get an option to hide some threads away in the next upgrade?)

Apocalyptic devastation? God forbid!

Well, on the other hand, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xld_R2Hfi_4

No one can be sure about if he or she knows what 'zhong' is purported to represent.

It will be a futile effort to determine what the medial of the syllable in question is.

Let's sleep on the question for eternity.

Of course, a lucid explanation plus precise ariculation, if offered, will be a welcoming event.

It will be a futile effort to determine what the medial of the syllable in question is.

No, it won't be a futile effort, your video clearly pronounces it /ʊŋ/ like I said. When I write /ʊŋ/, I am using the International Phonetic Alphabet, which very accurately represents most sounds in most languages.

It is a slightly nasalised near-close near-back vowel. In some languages, it is written using an "o", in others using a "u", sometimes "y" and "e" are used for variations of it. Most languages don't even have this vowel. Only some English accents use it in some words, others don't.

The final /ʊŋ/ is written -ong in pinyin, and always pronounced /ʊŋ/, with some variation inherent in any spoken language.

• Like 1

@renzhe said,'The final /ʊŋ/ is written -ong in pinyin, and always pronounced /ʊŋ/,,,,'

How revealing and yet decisive statement you have made with regard to the critical point of the 'zhong' syllable issue! You know, we have muddled so far in the swamp of this issue, perhaps talking to each other for cross purposes all along. Better late than never. Congratulations!

The case is closed.

China has many dialects. So for thousands of years there have been many different pronunciations of 中。Pinyin is used to teach people all across China the standard dialect, which is based on how they speak around Beijing. So 中=Zhong.  We know exactly how Zhong sounds.

@hofmann, My first tongue is Korean. I've got a college degree in Japanese studies and passed  JLPT 1 level.

I am a Korean living in Seoul, South Korea. To pass JLPT 1, you are supposed to know more than 7,000 Chinese characters.

You don't have a basic understanding of pinyin which is the base of the problem. If you're looking to transliterate the pronunciation of 中 to English that's one thing, but to say that pinyin is wrong is completely another thing. Pinyin is Chinese, it has nothing to do with English. Look at the Xs etc. 

Not that I said so exactly,  but merely complained about its 'inconsistancy', if you will.

It's a good thing you put the word “inconsistency” in scare quotes, because pinyin is completely internally consistent (once you've learnt the few simple rules that govern it), as previously explained many times.

https://chinese.yabla.com/chinese-pinyin-chart.php

Click on 'zhong' and what will you hear? It says 'jong', never 'jung'.

As I said before, no one knows what 'zhong' is.

I was right when I said,

'No one can be sure about if he or she knows what 'zhong' is purported to represent.
Let's sleep on the question for eternity.'

Any comment?

The roman alphabet letters are NOT used the same way in Pinyin as they are in Japanese or Korean transliteration.

(if you had explained your background earlier, perhaps people would have understood you better).

Pinyin is a different system. It uses the roman alphabet letters differently.

It is a Chinese standard. Accept it.

Learn the orthography of each syllable,  learn the sound of each syllable (by hearing and saying it).

Chinese schoolchildren do it.

They learn each syllable like they learn Chinese characters.

They don't try to analyze each letter to understand the exact pronunciation.

They learn each syllable as a whole, a series of letters + a sound.

Just like they learn Chinese character as a series of components/strokes + a sound.

What foreigners think about it doesn't matter.

(Edited.)

• Like 1

@renzhe, I'm not trolling, but asking.

The Yabla dictionary, as I cited above, never says "zhong' as 'tsung'. You said, although it being written as 'zhong', it represents the sound of 'tsung', when pronounced. Please explain the inconsistency between your assertion and the reality.