Chinese-Forums

Confused about Pinyin中

savah

@edelweis, I am talking about pinyin, a phonetic system, purported to serve as a guidepost, which, as with IPA,  is supposed to be a tool, as 'useful' as IPA, itself. If not, what is the purpose of pinyin? What is the purpose of entering pinyin next to each entry word of dictionaries? And each sign represents the only one sound it represents.

Do you have some problems with the font types on your computer?

Renzhe didn't say it represents the sound tsung , he wrote ʈ͡ʂʊŋ.

Does that look like it's the same to you? Because if it does, someone should provide you with a screenshot of this posting.

There is no "t", no "s", no "u", no "n" and no "g" in ʈ͡ʂʊŋ.

t is not ʈ͡

s is not ʂ

u is not ʊ

n is not ŋ

Do you understand that?

• Like 2

pinyin is not IPA.

IPA is for all languages.

Pinyin is only for mandarin Chinese.

In pinyin, one letter does not always represent the same sound.

Example: pinyin "chi" and pinyin "mi" have different vowels.

Pinyin is phonetic at the syllable level, not at the letter level.

@renzhe, I'm not trolling, but asking.

The Yabla dictionary, as I cited above, never says "zhong' as 'tsung'. You said, although it being written as 'zhong', it represents the sound of 'tsung', when pronounced. Please explain the inconsistency between your assertion and the reality.

uIo052S.gif

I'm outta here.

• Like 3

Have you considered moving to China and joining the PLA, or mastering Chinese from scratch in 30 days, as if you do those, this will be my all time favourite thread.

Once you accept this is going nowhere, this thread has great entertainment value indeed.

• Like 1

If you think pinyin is bad, you should try Russian.

Вор mean Thief. But the B is pronounced like a V and the p like an r. I mean, why spell it bop when it's pronounced vor? Ridiculous I say.

Mind you, being Korean, maybe you can't distinguish B and V anyway.

yes, online dictionary serve the purpose.

They show pinyin, or they show IPA.

In order to read IPA, you have to learn the IPA letters. There are many IPA letters. Some letters look like roman alphabet letters. Somer letters look different (as Yorin explained). And they are difficult to type on a computer keyboard.

In order to read pinyin, you need to learn the pinyin syllables.

There are many syllables. But at least they are easy to type. Because they use only letters of the qwerty keyboard (except ü).

Learn the pinyin syllables.

Remember in pinyin the "signs" are the syllables, not the letters.

1 pinyin syllable = 1 sign = 1 basic sound of Mandarin Chinese.

This way pinyin is phonetic. But not the same phonetic as Korean or Japanese.

You need to learn each pinyin syllable. Then you can read the pinyin in the dictionaries.

• Like 1

One hypothesis suggests the fact that the pinyin authors had stuffed different sounds into a phonetic sign, confounding people to  match different sounds to one sign. For example, people are to pronounce 'chungguo' for China in Chinese against the sign of 'chongguo'.That's the reason why people are confused about pinyin. People are to adjust to the confusion by and by, though.

I am eighty years old. I have never been so hurt as now by so mighty people. I myself felt so mighty in the past, I told one man,

'You scarce open your mouth before you utter nonsense'. He was so hurt that he wished me dead.. Why was I so wayward then, I don't know. Maybe just playful. I didn't mean it. Joke was intended. But I regret what I did and I miss him. Some of here are bad and some others are good. Wish them all the best.