Chinese-Forums

Old scroll.

Aceofface

Yes, your logic is lost on me, I'm afraid, Aceofface. If "experts all disagree" how do you expect to be able to clarify your doubts by posting pictures on a Chinese language forum for people who do not pretend to be experts in antiques to appraise? Ultimately, it doesn't sound like an objective inquiry into what it is that you have is what's motivating you here.

1 hour ago, Shelley said:

If it was worth anything why would someone give it away?

The owner should know the value. They didn't think it was worth selling so they gave it away.

Well, that's not necessarily always true. Every once in a while there is a story of someone finding the unknown work of a famous master at a flea market, or some such place.

Not saying that happened here, though. The most likely story to me is that the previous owner was well aware that it was a fake, and thus they or their heirs didn't make an effort to try and sell it.

All good points guys.  

Here's a pic of the bottom of the scroll.  I welcome anyone to post good pictures of his work here.  Maybe we can move the running conversation of this thread more over to a comparison of his Chinese writing with what is known and already authenticated as his.  Get to the real meat here.  

Img_2719.jpg

Like I said, to me as an untrained eye the writing looks completely different from his writing.

The most obvious things being the hooks on the 別, 有, and 間; the signature being completely different as pointed out earlier; and also the janky seal that looks like a blind person carved it with their teeth.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, roddy said:

Am I missing something?

It seems someone is under the mistaken assumptions that if it looks old, it is old, and if it is old, it's worth a lot of money. And possibly also the assumption that if the thing is discussed online, someone will take the bait and buy it for a lot of money.

Lu.  My attitude is that "the glass is half full"  That's the way I go thru life.  This is what it is.  Talk is cheap.  It's the real effort put into this that will get to the end of it.  And in the meantime, I'll be most interested in facts, not opinions.

2 minutes ago, Aceofface said:

I'll be most interested in facts

In that case, your best course of action is to have it appraised by an expert. Let us know what that expert finds, it'd be interesting if the calligraphy is actually by Sun Yat-sen.

What does this say?  孫文之印  Yes, my seal is different and what does my seal say?  Aside from that, I was hoping to compare the actual characters.  In any of your examples, are there any characters that are the same as the one's in mine that we can compare to?

Lu.  Experts all disagree!

Roddy.  Ha.

If you really think the glass is half full, bite the bullet, Pay the money, Put in the effort, Take it to an expert.

If it proves to be of value then you can come back and shake your finger at us and tell us "I told you so"

There is no need to get annoyed just because you are not getting the answers you want. They are only trying their best to help you.

• Like 2